• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Suggestions for trip to England?

I'll be going to England and Scotland in October.

I see that so much of the fine turning supplies come from England.
Do any of you have suggestions of stores or places to visit that are turning related?

Your information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
~dave

Have fun on your trip. Wonderful scenery, people, lager and ale. Mind the language - yes it is english on both sides of the pond. They often place the em phasis on a different sy lable (hope that comes though)
Yes a lot of the turning supplies are made in England - Sheffield - look up prices on the web. Also check out a UK based magazine available in the States named Woodturners? May also email Sorby sales and the like to see what if anything thay can/will do re shipping tours of the plants and all of that.
My experience is - the stated price is the about the same in pounds as dollars however the exchange rate bumps the USD amt by 50% or so. Those prices also include VAT at around 17-18%. A mechanism exists to receive a refund of VAT when clearing customs on the way out - a real hassle - and then what does one do with the cheque in pounds? - take a hit on the exchange rate plus the bank fees for processing. All in all - in my experience - not worth the hassle for small stuff. Entirely different deal on something really big like a Holland & Holland double rifle or the like at 10,000 quid :eek:

Short Story is I buy Cuban Cigars and little else. Just my 2 cents

England Trip

About 20 years ago, I went to London and did what I usually do, look in the phone book for workworking places, I might be interested in. I found a wonderful shop that was full of Sorby tools both handled and unhandled. I purchased 3 or four. Some of those tools were used quite a bit - others not as much. About 3 years ago - I made another trip to London. Tried to do the same and see if I could locate that tool shop. I went from one end of London to the other and didn't find it. Alas, returning home without finding anything other than the Portabello Market. About a year and half ago, I made another trip to London. Looking at one of my old tools, I was able to make out a label from the store where I purchased it. Turns out it was a Buck and Ryan Store.
I was able to locate that store on the web before going over.

I did find it, it was fairly close between to tube stations. I was very disappointed with what I found there. They only had a few turning tools, not nearly the store busting amount that I remember. They had other wood working tools there as well. I didn't buy anything there at all, but did purchase tools from Portabello Market and a couple of old planes at antique shops. It seems that most of the stores belong to a tool buying consordium in London and stock mostly the same. Their is a woodturning shop near Heathrow that I did not get to.

You may have to get out of London toward Sheffield, to find turning tools in any numbers. With the diminishing purchasing power of the dollar, you may be better off buying here in the states.

I did enjoy the other sites.

Larry

Hope this helps

Back