• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stubby 750 or Robust , American Beauty

I a hoping to buy a new Stubby or Robust. I am have a hard time which way to go. Please give me some input on this. Also has anyone ever modified a PM3520 to be able to turn larger diameters?

I a hoping to buy a new Stubby or Robust. I am have a hard time which way to go. Please give me some input on this. Also has anyone ever modified a PM3520 to be able to turn larger diameters?

I saw the American Beauty demonstrated at the Indianapolis Woodworking Show and I loved it. What a lathe but the price seperated it from my hands. Gary

I have never turned on a Stubby. I did look closely at one, and it looked alien to me. Part of that would have been because I had turned on a PM 3520A for 8 years before buying a Robust. My main reason for buying the Robust was not the extra throw, but the 3 hp motor. I wanted more torque. The only option I have seen for turning larger diameter on the PM is to turn off the end, and you need a floor mounted, or lower extension bed mount for a taller banjo/tool rest set up. I think that if I was going to turn a lot of big heavy vessels and bowls, I would look closer at the VB36. It also had an alien look to it. Again, in this case it didn't look like what I thought a lathe should look like.

Try to find some with a Stubby and turn on it.

robo hippy

...has anyone ever modified a PM3520 to be able to turn larger diameters?

Would the PM 4224 count as a modification? It gets you another 4" of swing. When I pulled the trigger on my Robust AB it was pretty close to a wash when priced out with similar capabilities. Problem is, I got spoiled when I demoed the Robust - it was a joy to use and made the less flexible PM style lathes feel like 19th century technology by comparison. (my humble opinion only - your mileage may vary).
The Stubby is a whole different animal with some amazing cabilities/capacities. I'd try to get some time on both before you make a decision.

I looked at the PM 4224 when it first came out, maybe down in San Jose. Nice machine, but considering the price difference wasn't much, I would still take the Robust. Made in the USA is a big part of that, plus, if you have problems, you can talk to the guy who makes the lathes himself. The only real difference between the stainless and tube lathe and the cast metal lathe is they make different sounds. The Robust legs can adjust up and down for getting it to your correct height, which is a huge plus to me.

robo hippy

need someone with a better memory than mine . . .

Somebody was turning some truly monster sized pieces using a 3520 since I have been on AAW, only about a year. Might have been the person turning seven feet tall goblets, maybe somebody else.

I am considering a Vega 2600, a poor boy's version of the Stubby. Talking and reading, some like these configuration lathes, some don't. Pretty much everyone says to turn on one before buying, which may be easier said than done.

The American Beauty on the other hand, I haven't heard much of anything to complain about except the price. Not that anyone seems to think it is out of line, it is a lot of lathe. Just a lot of money regardless of what we are spending it on so for a lot of us it remains a dream lathe.

If anything happens to change your plans, the AB probably has the least percentage loss but any of these three lathes resell pretty easily and all hold value pretty good.(The Stubby, AB, or 3520.) So good in fact that I pretty much ignore the used market for them. I have seen a few deals but most used machines aren't at enough of a discount from new to interest me.

I haven't been inside the other two or the 3520. However I have been inside the 3520's stable mate, roughly the same sized metal lathe from Jet. Obviously the 3520 has many happy owners but of the three it would be my last choice to push the limits on. The Jet was a lot prettier on the outside than on the inside. I do think the 3520 is quite a bit cheaper than the other two but I would say the same thing about the 4224, of these three it would be the one I would be least inclined to push boundaries with, again based on the Jet.

Either of the PM's, the AB, or the Stubby would probably turn out to be all the lathe you need, the above is just my opinion based on my experience with Jet and the homework I did looking at the various machines.

Hu

Richard,
I'm in Myrtle Beach. If you want to drive over you can turn on my Stubby. Just give me a heads up on when you may come so I can make sure I'm in town. I'll be out of pocket the week on March 17.

There is a reasonable alternative

Hi, i had a Jet 1642 and wanted to upgrade. I excluded the Oneway because it is too big and the legs are in the way of some of my turning.
I considered the 16 and 25 inch Robust and spoke a lot with Brent, a very nice guy. I was impressed with their quality but did not turn on them. One of the problem that always was on the back of my mind was the high baricenter of the lathe given the position of the motor. Especially since my shop has a wood floor above ground and vibrations were a possibility. Furthermore once you buy a lathe you cannot expand it. Coming from the Jet I was also a little worried about the moving head, will the center to center stay perfect?

Thus I considered the Vicmarc. Motor in a very low position, cast iron, small footprint and expandable to any length. The new model, which I do not have, also have the possibility of attaching a 19inch bed on the outboard side for turning without leaning on the ways, which for me is only a minor issue. After a minor problem was fixed, probably due to storing for months the belt under tension in the desert heat of Las Vegas, the lathe behaved flawlessly and I'm very satisfied with it. Center point to center point is perfect once the lathe was checked for level, no vibration, runs at 30 RPM without problems. A great lathe with a small footprint.

Last edited:
I have a Vega 2600 and your welcome to take a spin on it. BUT I live in Ohio. I really like my Vega but if I had the money it would be a Stubby or a AB.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

If you want to buy a new stubby pull the trigger quickly. If you can find one.

Take a look at at the ONEWAY 2416 with a 17" bed on the out board.
That is a sweet set up for bowls. For rare long turnings you can mount the 17" bed as an extension. Not something you want to do every other day.

Robust is a nice machine too.
It is rare to find an owner of a Oneway, Robust, or Stubby that is not happy with their machines.

I have been extremely happy with my Robust AB that I have owned for about 4-5 yrs. Another member in our turning club has a Stubby 750 and is equally happy with his choice. I have turned on his lathe and it is a fine machine that I could fine no glaring faults on inadequacies. At the time I was looking at machines I spent a lot of time comparing the Stubby and the AB. The Stubby is sort of an ugly duckling when looking at pictures. It is quite a machine when you see it in person. At that time there was no one in my area that had a Stubby. I had a chance to turn on Bill Grumbine's Robust AB and Vega 2600. Then I ordered the AB. If you are ever in northcentral PA give me a call and you can try both lathes.

Rick D

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have used several of the afore mentioned machines.In the nature of full disclosure, I am a Robust dealer.

I like the versatility of the Stubby, but it would be more like a Sweet 16 that the American Beauty (if I remember my part numbers correctly).
My big issue with Stubby right now is the state of the company. I am of the understanding the company is for sale. Call Bill Rubenstein and talk with him about it.

I have an American Beauty, sold the 2436 to buy it and I like the versatility of the sliding headstock and how smooth everything is.

If you can, try all of them out , but understand it is the product and the company that supports the product also.

You can't buy a new Stubby in the United States right now. None available since there has been an ownership change in Australia. No idea if or when they will be shipping any. I tried to buy a new one in December. None available, no comments about new ones coming, it took two months to get a picture of a damaged/scavenged machine in St. Charles. So strike that brand off your list!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I have used several of the afore mentioned machines.In the nature of full disclosure, I am a Robust dealer.

An advantage of both Robust and Oneway is dealers around the country.

I'm in central Florida 2 hours south of my local Robust dealer and 90 minutes north or our Oneway dealer.

Both were at the Florida Symposium last month.

I'm sure not all areas of the country are so lucky.

I am curious if any else has had an issue with the AB and stalling? I have been thinking about the possibility of moving to that lathe and have turned on one twice. I put it through some paces and was able to stall it much to easy. I would go back to my VL300 and yes I can stall it but not nearly as easy with heavy cuts. Both have 3hp motors. My other concern on the AB is the ways are only 1/2 inch or so thick. I rough turn a lot of bowls and I am concerned about the ability of that narrow of a ways holding up with hard use and extensive coring. I am not bad mouthing the lathe rather expressing concerns which I feel are the two weaknesses of the AB in my mind. Understanding that most people don't use their lathe as hard as I do. Lot's of nice features otherwise though.

I am back to looking at the VL300 again, as Sergio mentions, because the new models have two extension lengths available for the headstock side. These can also be used on the tail stock end for bed extensions. With proven torque and the ability to be used hard and keep on going are really important to me. I recently priced one with an extension and swing away for the tail stock and it still came well under the other models I priced. Now just need to save a little more and then who knows.

Website
www.turnrobust.com
Brent from Robust here. If you stalled the AB taking big cuts, you probably had it on the wrong belt speed range. Any of the lathes you've mentioned can certainly be stalled, and if you run on the high speed pulley, you will stall them easier with a big cut. I've had customers own their machines for years and not know to change the belt position to the slow-speed, high torque position. When they did, they were pleasantly surprised by the extra power. Nothing unique to the AB in this regard.

I have one of the AB's that had the 3 speed range pulley set up, the newer ones have 2 speeds. I keep it in mid range almost all the time. I can stall it without much effort. It is one of those "I'm on the Brute Squad", "You ARE the Brute Squad" things. Especially when using scrapers for roughing and taking heavy cuts, I can stall any lathe I have turned on. I do think it has more torque than my old PM 3520A. If I turn on the 3520B, in the high speed range, I can stall it just as easily. Maybe I should drop mine down to the low range just to see how far I can push it. There does seem to be a point where it is faster to rough at higher speeds while taking lighter cuts.

robo hippy

Stalling Around

I run a 3hp on my Stubby 1000, however I have it set up so that in extreme situations the spindle will stall based on how much tension I put on the belt. I view this as a safety measure, especially when coring out a 20"+ bowl.

If you want to buy a new stubby pull the trigger quickly. If you can find one.

The company was sold, but is still in operation. http://omegastubbylathes.com/

Question is open as to export to US/Canada as the Nor-Am patents are for sale.

Interested buyers should contact Bill at Stubby Lathe USA > bill@stubbylatheusa.com and/or (314)606-9366 [IIRC, Bill is out-of-country this month so be patient]

Or direct to the new company at rod@ampengineeringsolutions.com.au

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Brent from Robust here. If you stalled the AB taking big cuts, you probably had it on the wrong belt speed range. Any of the lathes you've mentioned can certainly be stalled, and if you run on the high speed pulley, you will stall them easier with a big cut. I've had customers own their machines for years and not know to change the belt position to the slow-speed, high torque position. When they did, they were pleasantly surprised by the extra power. Nothing unique to the AB in this regard.

I'm not a high speed turner, never have been, so my AM has been in the low speed pulley since the first day. haven't had a stall issue.

I am curious if any else has had an issue with the AB and stalling it.

I am back to looking at the VL300 again, as Sergio mentions, because the new models have two extension lengths available for the headstock side. These can also be used on the tail stock end for bed extensions. With proven torque and the ability to be used hard and keep on going are really important to me. I recently priced one with an extension and swing away for the tail stock and it still came well under the other models I priced. Now just need to save a little more and then who knows.

Hi, I'm just wondering why you want to change your VL300. Any specific problems? Just curious, since I own one.

Sergio,

I really don't want to switch lathes but I have a VL300 long bed. I only turn bowls and I mainly rough out bowls for bowl blank business. I have been entertaining a sliding headstock or short bed lathe (with out board attachment) for streamlining my roughing operation. I need a lathe that will hold up to hard use. When I say hard use I mean a lathe that has 50 to 100 pound out of round blocks of wood loaded one after the other. Then switch sides for coring one after another. There is a lot of torquing not only on the motor but also the bed in this type of turning. I must say I have these thoughts and then I go to my shop and turn on my vicmarc and say what are you thinking. This one works fine but it would be nice not leaning over the lathe bed some times. Oh maybe someday. It is still between the new vicmarc and the Robust AB if I ever actually buy anything. I am leaning vicmarc since I know it will hold up from past experiences. Vicmarcs don't have some of the modern bells and whistles but it is a lathe that just works and works hard.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Sergio, I really don't want to switch lathes but I have a VL300 long bed. I only turn bowls and I mainly rough out bowls for bowl blank business. I have been entertaining a sliding headstock or short bed lathe (with out board attachment) for streamlining my roughing operation. I need a lathe that will hold up to hard use. When I say hard use I mean a lathe that has 50 to 100 pound out of round blocks of wood loaded one after the other. Then switch sides for coring one after another. There is a lot of torquing not only on the motor but also the bed in this type of turning. I must say I have these thoughts and then I go to my shop and turn on my vicmarc and say what are you thinking. This one works fine but it would be nice not leaning over the lathe bed some times. Oh maybe someday. It is still between the new vicmarc and the Robust AB if I ever actually buy anything. I am leaning vicmarc since I know it will hold up from past experiences. Vicmarcs don't have some of the modern bells and whistles but it is a lathe that just works and works hard.

Dale,
A Oneway 1624 with a 17" outboard would be close to perfect for you.
You have between centers on one side. A chuck ready to mount your bowls on the other side. Both set ups read to go.
The 17 " bed gives you the stand in front. You can core in front of the regular bed too.
It's a short bed on one side and a longish shortbed on the other side.
A tough set up to beat for bowls.

The Vic, Robust, and Oneway have proven track records for holding up in production environments.
Al

Last edited:
I agree Al that is what vicmarc has done with the new style available. One thing I did forget to mention in the previous response is the fixed head. For many turners the sliding head may be a nice feature. For hard use and personal preference I like the fixed head setup with short bed as optimum. Less chance of anything vibrating loose or other possible scenarios. I think we can all agree that there is not a single lathe made that will satisfy all the needs of every turner in this world. What I view as weaknesses of one lathe may be what another views as strengths and vice verse.

I have a tough time with the oneway only because of a thread I read fairly recently about problems with their head stock. They are no longer made by them (subbed out) or something like that and some have had issues with it vibrating if I remember correctly, can you enlighten me at all about this? I also have tooling for morse taper, 30mm banjo and ect. which lends me to stay with vicmarc - now that I typed that, maybe oneway, since I think they match some of those specs, I'll have to look again.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Dale,
I like a fixed headstock too.
Robust has done a superb job on the sliding headstock. It locks well. Lines up well and Is easy to move if the ways are clean and you push low on it.
The ones I have used are real nice. But is still prefer the fixed headstock. And using the outboard as shortbed is easier for me than moving the headstock.
That said many people love sliding headstocks.

With the big Oneways and as an option on the Robust.
The spindles are the 33x3.5 M and the tailstock is a #3M.
That can be a problem for folks that own a lot of faceplates etc.
made the switch a long long time ago and it was easy for us as we kept a couple of 1 1/4x8 machines to use in classes.

Well, many posts talk about safety. Short smock, helmet etc. I agree on the safety concept but perhaps I have my ideas too. Accidents happens unfortunately and often they happen when the operator is tired. Often at the end of the working day. Vicmarc is the only lathe with the stop bar. Very immediate and instinctive to use. I used it sonly once in an emergency stop when, at the end of the day the compressed air hose got wrapped around the chuck. It worked marvel. I still use that hose.
The safety bar is definitely a plus, it was one of the two or three things that made my choice. The same reason I own a table saw with a safety device. It saved, always at the end of the day the little finger.
PS: no affiliations except to safety.

Truth be told, I have, on rare occasions been able to stall my 3hp Robust - usually, as Brent pointed out, when I've either left it on the high speed pulley or done something incredibly dumb (in which case I'm sincerely glad it actually stalled). I'm told that we learn through our mistakes..

That said, I doubt that my actions wouldn't have stalled just about anything I was turning on. I've put blanks on it that weighed 75 to 100 pounds without problem several times. The lock on the sliding headstock has never come loose or allowed the head to budge a milimeter. The 1/2 thick stainless steel ways, even through roughing out extra-heavy out of balance blanks, is in the same plane it was when the lathe was originally setup.

It doesn't have a stop bar running the length like the Vic's do, but I can move the controls anywhere they're within easy reach - on the banjo, the side of the tailstock, along the bed. My rotator cuff thanks me when I don't have to reach across the bed to hollow a large, deep bowl.

My advice - get some time on all three - even if you have to put off your decision and do a little traveling to get it done. Use your own tools, your own chucks and your own blanks. Clean up when done and find a way to thank your host. After doing what you expect to do on all three, your decision should be a lot easier. Every body else's opinion, no matter how experienced, is just that.

Robust, Vicmark, Stubby and OneWay are all premium lathes with premium prices - make sure you're going to be happy before pulling the trigger.

Curious about the comments about things vibrating loose with sliding headstocks. In over 15 years, the only problem I have had was forgetting to lock it down.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Curious about the comments about things vibrating loose with sliding headstocks. In over 15 years, the only problem I have had was forgetting to lock it down. robo hippy

The early Powermatic 3520s had a problem with a cast iron locking plate that would crack and not hold. They replaced it with a steel plate end of problem.
Some of the low end sliding headstock lathes had locking problems and alignment problems.

Less expensive lathes use locking plates that are softer than the ways and they tend to wear over time.
I've seen many older lathes that had worn plates for locking the tail stocks.

The current Powermatics or the Robust lock in place and I don't think an average person is going to wear the locking plates.

Once in a while I run into club lathes with loose locking plates on the tailstock.
I adjust them before using them. I have not found loose locking plates on amy head stocks but I suppose it could happen.
These lathes often spend lots of miles bouncing in trailers between meetings. Not something the average lathe does.

I have been told many many times that lathes were all set and ready to go only to find the headstock unlocked.

Al

Last edited:
Robo,
I have had the powermatic head stocks work loose for whatever reason. Re tighten and came loose again. Problem with the lathe, I don't know it wasn't my lathe. I have never had the Robust work loose but with past experience and a different brand I had a negative experience with the sliding head stock. Just makes me a bit leery. It may be as Al explained but again wasn't my lathe so I don't know.

"I chalk it up to fan-boy trash talk."
I was going to leave this comment alone but it bothers me to much. Just because I am not a big name turner such as Mahoney, G. Lucas or etc. does not mean that feelings or opinions aren't valid on equipment. Everyone uses their equipment in a certain way and some features just are not acceptable for that application. Having worked in wood window and door manufacturing and as a professional contractor I have used industrial equipment to cheaper equipment. It is not that hard to understand what and will last for certain applications and what won't or may be a potential issue. There is no reason to make such a rude comment towards anyone, big name or not. We all have experiences that make our point of view and opinions valid. If you threw not hundreds but thousands of big heavy rounds on your lathe one after another your view and opinion on what will work best for the long haul with that type of turning may change a bit.

I have said the Robust is a nice machine. Heck for most turners the PM3520 is more lathe than they will ever need. I just understand the stresses that my lathe is put under with the type of turning I do. Please don't fault me for that.

My PM3520A had the cast iron plate on the bottom, and I remember it breaking when turning and coring a piece of black locust. That was when I discovered it was cast. The headstock tipped over front ways, and didn't fall off the bed. I remember PM didn't want to give me a new pressure plate, and I checked one of the newer ones at Woodcraft, and it had a metal plate. I told them they changed it for a reason, and they owed me a new one. They finally did send me one, and it didn't fit because they made it thicker than the old one, but a neighbor had made a temp for me, and it is still on the lathe. I had problems with the original cast tool rest and it broke. They sent me a new tool rest, but it didn't fit the banjo because they had changed that too, so they sent me a new banjo, in pieces over a month or so. This was when PM had been sold to WMH tool group. Other than that, I never had the headstock come loose. If one ever came loose, it probably wasn't adjusted properly in the first place. I am not sure, but the PM is the first sliding headstock model lathe I know of.

The first pivoting headstocks had a lot of problems as well, from not locking down properly, to not going back exactly in place so it would line up with the tailstock. And then there were the tool rest extensions that bounced like a drop of hot water on a cast iron skillet.

I generally like some thing new on the market to be out for a while so they can get all the bugs worked out before buying. Just because it works on paper, doesn't mean it will work when built. Been there, done that, more than once.

robo hippy

Brian,
Check my post #13. You can't buy a new Stubby, none available in the United States. New corporate owners, no idea if or when they will be available.

Richard,

Check my post with the links. AMP Engineering (the new owner) is currently selling Stubbys "ex factory" in Australia. That said, they may have to deal with Bill for the US Market, but if they refuse, I would anticipate that their business plan is defective and this wonder lathe will fade away. Certainly glad I have mine as are my kids who are dickering about who gets what from the shop. ;)

Last edited:
I knew they are forming a new company. I was working with Vickie Jordan trying to buy a new machine. You would think that Bill would have mentioned to her or me that new ones were going to be coming soon, if they were. He knew I was trying to buy a lathe. With the following statement from their website, I would say that machine is pretty much dead.

From the A.M.P. website;

OPORTUNITY --- The USA patent for "OMEGA STUBBY LATHES" remains for immediate sale to the best reasonable offer.
This offer would suit either a current USA
machinery manufacturer, or company wishing to manufacture off shore and sell in USA , UK and Canada .
Please submit offers to: rod@ampengineeringsolutions.com.au

FWIW, I have a stubby 1000, which has served me well - it is space efficient, sufficiently powerful, and the 44 inch diameter capability (with the ways slid back) is really handy if the piece you are turning has winds or anything on it.

I knew they are forming a new company. I was working with Vickie Jordan trying to buy a new machine. You would think that Bill would have mentioned to her or me that new ones were going to be coming soon, if they were. He knew I was trying to buy a lathe. With the following statement from their website, I would say that machine is pretty much dead.

From the A.M.P. website;

OPORTUNITY --- The USA patent for "OMEGA STUBBY LATHES" remains for immediate sale to the best reasonable offer.
This offer would suit either a current USA
machinery manufacturer, or company wishing to manufacture off shore and sell in USA , UK and Canada .
Please submit offers to: rod@ampengineeringsolutions.com.au

I "interpret" the offer to sell the patent, when coupled with the other information on the site, that AMP is not presently interested in exporting machines out of Australia. I've seen this conduct before when Poolewood got into a fight with the outfit actually making the lathes for them (Silver Drive, LTD.), and quite exporting from UK. It comes down to two issues: 1. customer support and 2. product liability, in "foreign" markets.

The AMP website does, in fact, state that 750's can still be purchased through Stubby USA, http://omegastubbylathes.com/contact.html , so those interested should contact Bill Rubenstein at stubbylatheusa.com for availability and pricing on new machines as well as news on used Stubbys that rarely come up for sale.

You should still be able to purchase a new Stubby directly from AMP, but you'll have to do your own shipping and customs work. Not all that hard, but still more that most people will want to do, preferring to deal with a US company/dealer for service, etc.

Last edited:

pete marken

Artist
I have been using my John Jordan Stubby 750 for over 12 years now and really enjoy using it. I have no need to turn anything over 14" so this is not a problem for me. The machine is very versital due to the fact that the ways (bed) can be positioned in various configurations. The only thing I was a little disappointed with wer that it was difficult to align the tailstock with the spindle center. Another point is that it did not come with a speed display. I had to rig up my own.
I have heard rumors that the newer versions did not perform as well as the older lathes.

Rumors?

I have been using my John Jordan Stubby 750 for over 12 years now and really enjoy using it. I have no need to turn anything over 14" so this is not a problem for me. The machine is very versital due to the fact that the ways (bed) can be positioned in various configurations. The only thing I was a little disappointed with wer that it was difficult to align the tailstock with the spindle center. Another point is that it did not come with a speed display. I had to rig up my own.
I have heard rumors that the newer versions did not perform as well as the older lathes.

Where'd you hear that, Pete?

The basic machines haven't changed at all. If anything, Bill has made serious improvements in the motor / VR drives over the old Eurotherms plus he's put a speed read-out on the remote. He does not, however, offer a 3 hp motor on the 750 and does not import the 1000. I have a 3 hp motor on my 1000 however I've received info that the Eurotherm drive will only deliver 2hp. Since I've never needed more power than what I have, I won't be running out to get a better drive until this one poops the bed.

Back