• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
My name is Stu. I'm finally back to turning after a 10yr hiatus, only to find that the variable frequency drive (VFD) on my VB36 had died. I've spent the last few weeks installing and programming a Mitsubishi D700s VFD and I'm now up and running.

FinalInverter.jpeg

I'm most interested in hollow forms and finishes off the tool without sanding.

My first project is a crotch of Ambrosia Maple I started 16 yrs ago but got discouraged because of the difficulty turning into a crotch of end-grain. Dimensions are 9" deep by 9" wide.
mounted.jpeg IMG_0217.jpeg

You'll notice a fiberoptic light I purchased from Serious Lathe Company (now defunct). I used to be able to turn in the dark, using transillumination as a thickness gauge, turning to a thickness of 1/16"! Ah...those were the days.

I'm going for 1/8" on this beast but taking my time. I'm currently down to a uniform thickness of 3/8"
Finishing to bottom of the vessel has been a challenge because of chatter (end-grain). Luckily, I have a 1" dia extension to support the tool and shorten the lever arm. The foot pedal on the VB36 certainly comes in handy as I can stop the lathe in 0.5s before removing the tool, or to take a breath.

Current.jpeg

My Hollow-Pro tools have just arrived from Craft Supplies USA and I'll be giving them a go to finish the inside of the top.

I'm psyched to be back with you all!!

Best,

Stu

Welcome back. Your foot petal reminds me of the stop bar that goes across the newer Vicmarc VL300 lathe.

That’s an interesting tool extension. Is this device something you prefer over a heavy duty captive bar hollowing setup, or was it just a less expensive solution for hollowing?

Hi Karl!
I purchased the VB36 directly from England in 1999 and ordered all of its attachments at that time to save on shipping costs. Although the intended purpose of the "tool extension" you commented on was that of a hand rest, it was robust enough for my needs in this project. If this piece did not have such a large interrupted space through which to see its bottom, I wouldn't have cared about the finish off the tool. As far as captive bars, I prefer to have the challenge of leveraging my body movements against the sheer forces of wood and tool handle movement. Without this deep extension, one catch would destroy the piece.

Welcome! That is an awesome piece of burl. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece. BTW, 16 years is a bit longer than my trimming the steps that I started about 10 years ago.
Used to live in central NC. Miss the fresh NC seafood!

Thanks, Lamar! I got the piece down to 3/8”, then a catch at the underside of the top cracked the tenon at the chuck. Oh well...4774E4CB-F8D7-4AAE-984E-69A90A8FB9C0.jpeg it’s now a planter, lol7FBD13A1-7996-4D13-B1CD-7CE8075DE1A9.jpeg
Endgrain pots that large have always been difficult for me. It was a great piece to get my chops in shape, that’s for sure!

Back