• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Storing Wood in the South

I live in the Houston area and have some pecan, oak, and hackberry stored under an open-sided lean-to off of my steel building. My son wanted a decent sized pecan limb for a small turning project of his. I had trimmed a pecan branch off of a tree that was hanging over our fence more than a year ago, sealed both ends with Anchorseal, stuck it under my lean-to, and forgot about it. When he asked about some pecan, I gave him that piece. He took it home and got it ready to put it on his lathe and texted me that the pecan had holes throughout it, sawdust, bug shells, etc. His guess was termites. Several years ago someone gave me some pecan chunks off of a tree of theirs that I was going to use in my smoker. I left this undercover also but still open to bugs, wind driven rain, etc. and ended up with the same result.

Have folks noticed that the bugs seem to like pecan better than other wood (my oak and hackberry don't seem to be affected)? I don't really have enough room indoors to store trunks, branches, etc. and sometimes worry about bringing an infestation inside where I have good lumber.

I keep threatening to bring in a shipping container and have a spot behind my shop where I could put it...that would make a pretty nice storage place.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Wood has a use by date. Varies with climate
I try to turn pecan while it is green and fresh.
Few logs outdoors last more than 3 months here in central Florida, So I try to turn fresh cut wood within a month.

I do cut some into turning squares 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 for spheres, gavels, pepper mills etc.

Few logs outdoors last more than 3 months here in central Florida, So I try to turn fresh cut wood within a month. I do cut some into turning squares 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 for spheres, gavels, pepper mills etc.
I totally agree with Al here and a "use by date" is a great way to think about the issue. If you think about it...nature has a whole host of different critters and fungi standing by that are built just for the purpose of breaking down dead timber and plowing back the nutrients as quickly and efficiently as possible. Best to deal with it as quickly as possible...but, when I just have to, I have had good luck plopping blanks and other pieces into a barrel of water for some longer term storage.

I'm guessing the holes you see in the pecan were made by powder post beetles. The holes are exit holes made by larvae eating their way out of the wood. The sawdust is really fras (bug poop). The eggs can live in the wood for up to five years. The most effective way to kill them is with 140 degrees of heat for 24 hours.

PPB's love pecan and hickory. They also like oak sapwood and might burrow into the heartwood if really hungry. I occasionally see them in walnut. Don't know about hackberry.

I'm guessing the holes you see in the pecan were made by powder post beetles. The holes are exit holes made by larvae eating their way out of the wood. The sawdust is really fras (bug poop). The eggs can live in the wood for up to five years. The most effective way to kill them is with 140 degrees of heat for 24 hours.

PPB's love pecan and hickory. They also like oak sapwood and might burrow into the heartwood if really hungry. I occasionally see them in walnut. Don't know about hackberry.

I mentioned this topic to a neighbor of mine today and they mentioned powder post beetles also...going to have to get more info on that pest!

Few logs outdoors last more than 3 months here in central Florida, So I try to turn fresh cut wood within a month.

I do cut some into turning squares 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 for spheres, gavels, pepper mills etc.

I am still in the middle of building out my shop and can't wait till the day (my wife says it will never come) that I can do things like turn green wood when I come across it. Until that day comes, I should probably consider a lot of the wood I happen across as firewood.

I mentioned this topic to a neighbor of mine today and they mentioned powder post beetles also...going to have to get more info on that pest!
Powder post beetles have been discussed many times here on the forum, so you might learn more about them and how to manage by doing a search.

By comparison, I can leave wood outside under a tarp and as long as it's not in contact with soil and didn't have spalting to start with, it's still fine in 6 months, except for usual checking and cracking. "35 below keeps out the riff-raff"

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
comparison, I can leave wood outside under a tarp and as long as it's not in contact with soil and didn't have spalting to start with, it's still fine in 6 months, except for usual checking and cracking. "35 below keeps out the riff-raff"

You have too much Latitude.

I represent that riff-raff :):):)

Never want to live where they think 40 is warm any part of the year.

Some of Our maples leafed out 2 weeks ago. Some others are just starting.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
While I try to turn my green stuff in a reasonable amount of time I always end up with some that sits for quite a while. I also often leave a few pieces in storage to intentionally let it age, spalt, change, etc. Don't discount spalted wood that has some bug activity. Some of the pieces that have sold well for me and that I think have the most character and appeal are heavily spalted with a fair amount of insect holes and grub trails. My motto - give it a try and see what comes out - you might be surprised.

Minimum care would be to have a tarp under the logs, and even better would be to have them off the ground as well. This helps make it more difficult for the bugs to find their food.... The powder post beetles leave tiny little holes, like pin size holes. Termites leave bigger bb sized holes. Moth balls can help keep them away, and there are a few other things that can do that. There is some kind of larvae that likes to burrow through good wood and leave their tunnels full of 'frass' which is worm poop. It can make for spectacular patterns in ornamental pieces.

robo hippy

Never want to live where they think 40 is warm any part of the year.
Lived where it was 41 below. Was in northern Illinois where the local radio DJ got excited that it was going to get above zero!
For wood storage, I have a bunch in the corner of my shop. The rest is in a metal storage building in the back yard with lawn mower, etc.

Powder post beetles have been discussed many times here on the forum, so you might learn more about them and how to manage by doing a search.

By comparison, I can leave wood outside under a tarp and as long as it's not in contact with soil and didn't have spalting to start with, it's still fine in 6 months, except for usual checking and cracking. "35 below keeps out the riff-raff"

We have a lot of "thug bugs" down here and I am quickly finding out that storing logs is probably better for firewood than it is for turning stock. I am enclosing a lean-to off of my shop and might give that a try for short term storage until I can get it processed.

While I try to turn my green stuff in a reasonable amount of time I always end up with some that sits for quite a while. I also often leave a few pieces in storage to intentionally let it age, spalt, change, etc. Don't discount spalted wood that has some bug activity. Some of the pieces that have sold well for me and that I think have the most character and appeal are heavily spalted with a fair amount of insect holes and grub trails. My motto - give it a try and see what comes out - you might be surprised.

What do you do with the insect holes in your turnings or is it dependent on what it is that you are making?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Larry, was actually getting ready to start a thread on the topic to see what others do. For me it depends on each piece. If it's a really rustic natural edge then the bug holes cleaned out can add to the look. I've left the bug dirt at times and put a drop or two of thin CA on it to firm it up and left it in place. I've also sat with a small metal pick and cleaned it out. Did a piece of elm recently and regretted once I started. There were so many to do but once done it was fine. I've also mixed up ground up bark or sanding dust from the piece with 2 part epoxy and filled them in. Sometimes it blends very well. Sometimes not. I'm not a big fan of just clear epoxy fills inside bowls. It works well on dark knots with a little dark sanding dust mixed in and you can't tell it's even there. I don't have a set routine. Sometimes it adds to the look, especially if there are a lot of them. I've learned that leaving it in place without putting something to firm it up is a problem. It can crumble out over time and make a mess of your work.

Larry, was actually getting ready to start a thread on the topic to see what others do. For me it depends on each piece. If it's a really rustic natural edge then the bug holes cleaned out can add to the look. I've left the bug dirt at times and put a drop or two of thin CA on it to firm it up and left it in place. I've also sat with a small metal pick and cleaned it out. Did a piece of elm recently and regretted once I started. There were so many to do but once done it was fine. I've also mixed up ground up bark or sanding dust from the piece with 2 part epoxy and filled them in. Sometimes it blends very well. Sometimes not. I'm not a big fan of just clear epoxy fills inside bowls. It works well on dark knots with a little dark sanding dust mixed in and you can't tell it's even there. I don't have a set routine. Sometimes it adds to the look, especially if there are a lot of them. I've learned that leaving it in place without putting something to firm it up is a problem. It can crumble out over time and make a mess of your work.

Interesting Randy...I'll keep an eye out for the thread if you decide to start it!

Here in the North Georgia area powder post beetles are prolific and seem to be unstoppable. Did some research on them some time ago but my old brain has now forgotten the details. At any rate, I like the effect left by the larvae holes. Here's an 18" Sycamore piece my wife really loves. When I was roughing out last year, the larvae started coming out of their home and met their end at the edge of the bowl gouge. After roughing I sprayed it down with white vinegar to kill whatever was still living and then coated with Anchorseal and put on the drying rack. Seemed to work although those little buggers can lie dormant for a long time and then bore their way out. I think the pros use a boric acid solution to soak into the wood and kill the larvae, but don't quote me ... google it. The finish is Antique Oil (Minwax) and when applying it will seep through the holes and tend to leave a shiny spot on the underside but I just lightly sand that out once dry.

sycamore with ppb holes.JPG

I second to what Randy said about spalted wood. That is what I turn most of the time and it makes some beautiful bowls. I store most all my dry wood in a 12' x 16' outdoor building. Like everyone else I try and rough turn green wood ASAP.

Last edited:
Back