• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Storing waxes, laquers, solvents, etc

I live in Phoenix, AZ and it gets hot here. Really hot. Unfortunately, my shop is an un-insulated, un-finished TuffShed in the backyard. I have a couple of fans, and a portable AC unit for when I'm actually out there and working, although I'm still limited on when I can work out there; the portable AC unit can't really keep it cool enough during the hottest parts of the day.

When I am out there, it is still warm enough that my finishing waxes, abrasive pastes, etc... start to melt. So I try to only bring them out when I'm actually ready for them, but with bowls that's a PITA because I finish the outside bottom before reversing it in the chuck to hollow it out.

I obviously cannot keep everything out in the shed in terms of storage either. Solvent cans expand dangerously, aerosol cans could expand, everything melts, and I just know it's not a good thing. So I keep everything in the house, but I don't really have any kind of storage room, they are in my computer room, on a bench I have in here. But I have accumulated so many, and have opened and used them, that the room is starting to accumulate vapors, smells, and take up quite a bit of room.

My question is, if anyone has any advice on I can/should deal with this? I assume I'm correct that I most certainly should not keep them in the hot shed. It'd cost too much to run the portable AC all the time, plus as I said, it's still just barely manageable. I was thinking perhaps a refrigerator, but set the temp higher than the fridge in the kitchen, but I don't really have the room for it. Plus it'd permanently take up a free outlet. Maybe one of the smaller, college dorm room fridges? I can live with one less outlet...

Back