• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spur center removal Q on Jet 1236

I am pretty new to turning althought I have taken a few courses.... I finally got the confidence to do some turning on my Jet-1236. I want to remove the spur center and put in a mandrel for pen turning but cannot figure out how to remove it. :(

The manual says insert the drift pin and push- There is no hole in teh headstock to insert the driftpin and the manual is pathetically vague.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

thanks- Liz

Liz,

Your 1236 should have come with a steel rod (knock out bar) that you insert in the center of the hand wheel.This goes through the head stock and is used to tap the spur center from the spindle. Be careful, the spur can, and usually does, come out with some velocity. It will either hit the ways and end up on the floor or stab your palm if you catch it wrong, DAMHIK. :D

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Liz I agree with Jake. I put a rag over the drive center. Sometimes you have to hit it pretty hard with the knock out bar and the rag catches the drive center and keeps it from damaging itself or you.

No hole in hand wheel

Thanks for the replies. I have seen the spur removed by using the knockout on other models but this model has no hole in the hand wheel- the directions on vaguely mention using index pins but there are no details on how to use the index pins to remove the spur or faceplate.

I am guessing maybe the design is why Jet is no longer making this model.

Can anyone with experience using a Jet-1236, provide instructions on how to remove the spur even thought the hand wheel does not have a hole for the knowout tool?

Thanks,
Liz

Liz, I had one way back when they were painted blue. Haven't really looked at one since I sold it. When I bought mine the handwheel was an add on made by a different company. New, mine had no hand wheel and a knockout bar went through the spindle as described in the other posts. I bought an after market handwheel that came with a knock out bar that would fit in the smaller hole in the handwheel. Yours sounds different. You might be able to remove the handwheel and then use a knockout, but, it would be a pain to take the wheel on and off just to remove the center. Does the center have a hole drilled through it just in front of the spindle? If so you might be able to put a pin in the hole so that it puts pressure against the nose of the spindle to pop the center loose. If you try this be careful that you don't damage the spindle.

spur removal

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I checked that web, emailed the author Tom and he said you have to actually unscrew the handwheel - what a pain!

I tried unscrewing it but seems that there may be some trick to that and unfortaunately there is nothing about that in the manual either.

After I figure out how to get it off, I am thinking about drill a hole through it.

Thoughts?

Thx,
Liz

Could be left hand thread. Did you try unscrewing it both ways? Best to find out for sure what way it unscrews, then place place that lock pin on the spindle, and then unscrew it.

It also may have a set screw somewhere. Your parts breakdown would/should show that.

Last edited:
underdog said:
Could be left hand thread. Did you try unscrewing it both ways? Best to find out for sure what way it unscrews, then place place that lock pin on the spindle, and then unscrew it.

It also may have a set screw somewhere. Your parts breakdown would/should show that.

I was told it was left hand threaded but it was on there so tight I could not budge it. Hopefully tomorrow it will be a bit warmer in the garage. I will look for some kind of set screwn

Thanks!
Liz

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Those left-hand threads usually get so tight over time that getting them loose is a major job. If you do manage to get it loose, cut a plastic washer out of a piece of milk jug. The washer will keep the handwheel from grabbing so tightly that it can't be removed.

Bill

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Once you get the handwheel off take it to a machinist and have a hole bored in it. It shouldn't be very expensive. You could drill it yourself by glueing into a scrap piece of wood on a faceplate. Turn a hole for the handwheel so it will be centered. Then just break the wood away when your done drilling. Of course you would need a jacobs chuck with #2 morse taper on it. If you have a drill press use the drift punch that came with it and knock out the jacobs chuck. You can use this.

R

Ron Sardo

Hi Liz

I have a 1236 with a handwheel. Yes it is a PITA to remove the wheel every time you need to knock out the drive center or place on a vacuum chuck. But I'm happy I have the hand wheel.

The threads on the handwheel are reversed, so you have to turn to the right to loosen the wheel. I bet you using allot of presssure in your efforts to remove the handwheel and by now I'm sure, it is on permanently!

Just kidding. On the headstock, near the spindle, you will see two small holes that are used along with the indexing system. There are two tools that came with the 1236 that will screw into this hole to lock the spindle. They look like threaded pins. Your knock out bar will also fit into these holes.

Once you lock the spindle. use a screwdriver in the hole on the handwheel shaft to turn off the wheel. You may need to use some gentle persuasion by adding more leverage such as a pipe placed over the screwdriver. Once the hand wheel is off and before you replace the wheel, insert a paper "washer" on the handwheel shaft and replace the wheel. This makes it easier to remove the wheel the next time around.

Most times, all I need is a "quick snap of the wrist" to remove the handwheel.

Many thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help! I called Jet and they said to get the hand wheel off, I need to the use the index pins which were lost (in the garage mess) and reordered this week.

I can't wait to start using my lathe again.

PS- anyone know of any good teachers or courses in NJ? I looked on the 2 AAW clubs in NJ, 1 web site is defunct and the other has 2005 info.

Thanks,
Liz

crashgtr said:
Just wanted to thank everyone for the help! I called Jet and they said to get the hand wheel off, I need to the use the index pins which were lost (in the garage mess) and reordered this week.

I can't wait to start using my lathe again.

PS- anyone know of any good teachers or courses in NJ? I looked on the 2 AAW clubs in NJ, 1 web site is defunct and the other has 2005 info.

Thanks,
Liz

Where in NJ are you, Liz?

I used to have the same lathe. A call to Jet revealed the outboard end of the spindle has an internal 1/2"x13 thread per inch (TPI), left hand, internal thread.

Aha, Liz, you must be running the infamous 206 corridor. I grew up in the P'ton area, now out in Phoenix, AZ

JimQ

Back