• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

spindle height for hollow turning

looking for info on spindle height when turning hollow forms. I have purchased the munroe hollower and he suggest increasing the height 4to6inches any thoughts would be greatly apprecaited.

thank you
patrick

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Patrick,

regardless of the tool
You want to keep your back straight and not bent.

Spindle height at the elbo is a starting point.
For Spindle work it may be more comfortable to have the lathe an inch or so lower making it easier to work over the top.
for hollowing it may be more comfortable to have the spindle higher.

widening your stance and bending you knees only does so much.

If you use a tool up under your arm you'll be able work more comfortably with a higher lathe.

spindle height like most decisions in woodturning has trade offs.
raising you lathe 6" would may make it difficult to turn spindles and finials and easier to hollow.

One reason I use a trapped hollowing bar is that I can work standing up.

Happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
Patrick,

I am 5'-9" and my centre line is at 48", which is a bit more than average but it suits me. The basic formulae are just starting points, you fine tune from there

Back