1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Someone should have done an Intervention...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Ron Vasser, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Ron Vasser

Ron Vasser

Location (City & State):
    Rome, GA
    When I posted I was buying a wood lathe! Some days I take care of the animals in the morning and head to the shop and look outside and it's dark. What? I've bought up some more tools, cut some more wood, and I'm making shavings. I've ground away almost a third of a 5/8" M42 bowl gouge before I learned to sharpen the way I cut with it or vice versa. I posted my first piece a few weeks back and have a few more just for your critic if that's okay.
    This is my first natural edge bowl made of fog wood.
    ne-a.jpg ne-b.jpg
    A couple of spalted maple bowls
    sm-a.jpg sm-b.jpg smd.jpg
    first box
    box-a.jpg box-b.jpg

odie and Zach LaPerriere like this.
  2. Dean Center

Dean Center

Location (City & State):
    Bozeman, MT
    Ron, You're making really nice stuff. I'm quite impressed.

Ron Vasser likes this.
  3. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    Ron those are looking good. I especially like the box , looks like a pawn on the top.

Ron Vasser likes this.
  4. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    Pretty darn good for a beginner!

Ron Vasser likes this.
  5. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    These are terrific for a beginner. Curves are pretty good.

One suggestion is to work more on getting a continuous curve. This is struggle for every turner.
    Some turners never master the curve. Sometimes photographs give the appearance of flats - a straight edge will tell you if they are there reliably

You can check curves by rolling a straight edge(pencil or rule) along the curve.
    Light will show on each side of the contact point. When the contact point gets wide you have a flat.
    Turn a little wood off each side of the flat to blend it into a contiguous curve.
    Holding the tool handle against your side and turning you body and shifting weight from the back to lead foot will help the gouge turn a real sweet curve. It is the nature of the gouge to cut a straight line in the direction of the bevel so we turners have to make it turn lots of close together flats we cannot see.
    Lastly when sanding keep moving along the curve stopping in one place will make a flat.

This is more personal style -
    the NE bowl would be a nice functional piece if you removed the bark.
    It has a supportive foot so it won’t tip over when someone scoops out some salad or a biscuit.

When I leave the bark edge I turn the walls thinner and give it a smaller foot (often no foot).

Ron Vasser and Gerald Lawrence like this.
  6. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    No idea who said it about our 'hobby', but "I hope that when I die, my wife doesn't try to sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them..." You do have an eye for form.

robo hippy

Mike Adams and Ron Vasser like this.
  7. Ron Vasser

Ron Vasser

Location (City & State):
    Rome, GA
    Thank you, Dean!

Thank you, Gerald, and it does look like a pawn. I just planed for something smooth because it's going to be a little girls treasure box. I surprised myself with this one because I also like the way it turned out!

Pretty darn nice of you to reply! Thanks, Gary.

Thank you, hockenbery, I really appreciate the feedback advice. I learn from the replies here and also watch all the videos you folks have up!

Thanks, robo hippy! My wife sees the ups or FedEx truck coming down the drive and just shakes her head but she has no room to complain as she has horses and rodeos. I'm not married to a young woman, she just thinks and lives young!

8. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    My wife knows exactly what I pay for things- turning, fishing, hunting. Nothing is a secret. However, she does ask when I'm going to get a cheap hobby. Is there such a critter?
    Ron, horses? Most expensive critter on the farm. I have a close friend who is a farrier. I know what he charges for a set of shoes. She could have a closet full of shoes and purses.

9. David Hill

David Hill

Location (City & State):
    Cuero, Texas
    Intervention??? What’s bad?
    I’m with Robo — except my wife knows what we paid for my favorite lathe— she went with me to look at it——said Go Ahead!! Guess I’ll have to make a list of tools......naw, not enough time....

10. Ron Vasser

Ron Vasser

Location (City & State):
    Rome, GA
    Yea John, my wife knows and is happy I enjoy my new hobby so much. She got her first horse when she was seven and has been hooked for life. All the farriers around here increased their price so fast it seemed it went up with each shoeing so she went to a barefoot trimming class, traveled with a barefoot trimmer for a while, bought her tools, and does her own. They're still expensive to keep.

Nothing is bad, it was just a backhanded way of saying how much I enjoy the hobby.

David Hill likes this.
  11. Russ Braun

Russ Braun

Location (City & State):
    Torrance, CA
    How much do you really miss the trouble you used to get into BT (before turning)? Sawdust trails in the living room is the best I can do now!