• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Some time in the shop...finally.

I'm building fly rod for my grandson's birthday this month. Finished the cork grip and had to make a couple of things for drying the epoxy that covers the thread wrappings. Came up with this idea. The motor is a microwave turntable motor. The part with the rubber bands was drilled and turned to had a friction fit over the shaft. The end of the grip with fit there . The other part goes into the rubber bands for the tip section. Most tips are about 1/4 inch or bigger. A few wraps of Teflon tape will give a good friction fit. Motor will run continuously for 10-12 hours, generating a bit of heat. Have had these before and they create no problem. The mounting keeps heat to minimum.IMG_6683.JPG

Definitely but a rotisserie turns a bit too slow IMHO. I did look at them. However, rod builders will fight over a microwave left at the curb. Most of the time, all that is needed is a fuse. Got another motor coming to make a wrapping motor for wrapping thread.
Might even play some Wrap Music. o_O

Wife has an old sewing machine. Too touchy to control at one speed, IMO. Prefer a constant speed motor that can run continuously for 10-12 hours for drying. I have an old sewing machine motor that I'm looking to convert to a wrapping unit. I could drill a hole with a screw and nut to act as a stop to keep a constant slow speed. Some wrappers go fast but that is for skilled builders.

Great idea John, nice job......My wife and I use to fly fish all the time and loved it til arthritis got into our shoulders....:D

Back