1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Some New Work for Comment

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jeff Gilfor, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Jeff Gilfor

Jeff Gilfor

Location (City & State):
    Tampa, FL
    While waiting for my new lathe to arrive (Nova DVR 2024), finished a few pieces. Feel free to comment.

First bowl is a challenge piece from my local woodturner chapter. It was to demonstrate surface embellishment. Wood type unknown.

Second is a box of Rainbow Poplar.

Last is a candy dish of Ambrosia Maple.

All done on my 12 inch Rikon. Finish on all us shellac based home brew.

Attached Files:

2. Ian Thorn

Ian Thorn

Location (City & State):
    Mosgiel New Zealand
    they all look great Jeff nice turnings and finish do you mind sharing your secret finish mix.

Cheers Ian

3. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Very Nice Jeff. I think I would have added more shape to the top of the box. It seems a little flat looking. They shapes are good. I don't see any sanding scratches which of course helps the finish. Good job on the finish.

4. Jeff Gilfor

Jeff Gilfor

Location (City & State):
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks. Agree with the boring shape of the box. Piece if wood was sorta stout, and my habit at this stage for boxes is to turn tenons at both ends. Gonna have to work on that.

I have been obsessed with friction polishes. Couldn't find any I liked. Researched the heck out if it. Got some good shellac. Modified it abut chemically to make it harden and become more durable ( same process I suspect the U-Beaut folks use), mixed it with pure tung oil and some carnauba wax. Diluted it with DNA to a relatively thin consistency. Been using it a lot. Holds up well to handling after a week or two. Can be applied to large pieces without problems too.

I sand to 800, then friction rib the final scratches out with pumice mixed with thinned paste wax. The brand name stuff is SOOO expensive!

5. Christopher Martin

Christopher Martin

Location (City & State):
    Michigan
    I Love the shape of your candy dish. That will be a project on the to do list but with a lid I think. thanks for sharing.

6. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    All show a lot of creativity.....

First peice looks like cherry.

ooc