• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

soft bumpers for Oneway Mini-Jumbo Jaws

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
on a 10" swing lathe the mini-jumbo jaws will hit the ways when partially extended with the rubber bumpers in the outer ring position. see bumper.jpeg

took a 2" square piece of UHMW plastic which was 1.5" thick and resawed it in half and then cut the two surfaces into 4 equal squares to make 8 blanks. Then drill and counter-sink a hole in the middle of each to accept a M6 by 25 oneway screw.

Attach these to the mini-jumbo jaws and turn them to almost flush on the outside and trim them round on the inside. see UHMW bumper jpeg. I did this step with positioned on the outside thread positions. You could move them closer to the middle to reduce open air, but then you would have to carefully re-position them for alignment. I should mention that the outside edge does not have much room and you can touch the edge of the bolt heads with your tool! done that been there. i found i could ride the bevel on the aluminum plate to get in close to the bottom of the inside for a clean grip. You can put a small dove tail on the inside if needed.

then i was able to mount my ring with enough clearance to turn the bottom of the ring smooth.

Attachments

• bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 407
  • UHMW_bumper.jpg
    UHMW_bumper.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 386
  • clearance.jpg
    clearance.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 390
  • cleaned_ring.jpg
    cleaned_ring.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Website
www.woodturner.org
Thanks for posting that tip DrDewey, nicely done. I like the illustrative pictures and the general concept of making long extensions to hold the edges of a piece.

If you guys keep talking about UHMW, I'm going to get more curious and will have to get some to try out for myself. It looks like a nice material to work with.

Back