1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

So I bought a new lathe tool

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Mike Adams, Aug 1, 2020 at 9:56 AM.

1. Mike Adams

Mike Adams

I picked up one of the Little Beaver's designed by Larry Martin (The Wood Whirler) from their current maker on Ebay.

I love this thing. It's like having a super roughing gouge that works with bowl blanks. It has a square, radiused carbide cutter and a serious chip deflector. The tang is 1/2 inch.

[​IMG]

Mark Jundanian likes this.
  2. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Similar approach to mounting the cutter as Harrison's 90* detailer. Are you using the tool point on, or positionong the shaft 45* to the cut?

3. Mike Adams

Mike Adams

I do have the Harrison tool. I bought a set of his full-size tools when I started experimenting with carbides some time back, right after trying a "New Edge Tools" (long since closed) carbide gouge for pens. It's okay for light duty, but the shaft is only a half inch and the tool tends to bounce around if when doing anything more than light cuts. I used mine mainly for grooves and a bit of spindle work. It's not beefy enough to be in the same league as this beast. Seriously.

I tried both presentations today. I ran it perpendicular to the work and at 45. Perpendicular was great for knocking down the corners some and then I ran it back and forth at 45 and really hogged away wood getting the pieces round. The chip deflector isn't for show, either. When hogging, the tool throws out a serious chip stream.

I've seen video of Larry using it to hollow a bowl, but haven't tried that yet.

Even if I never use it for anything but bringing blanks to round it's worth every cent to me.

Mark Jundanian likes this.
  4. robo hippy

robo hippy

As far as I am concerned, scrapers are the most efficient tool for removing huge amounts of stock in a hurry. I use standard scrapers. If you have a round cutter in that, more for the inside, you can sweep it back and forth, and get pretty close to final shape so one or two passes with a gouge and you are done. I don't have a chip guard, so learned to stand just slightly off to the side to turn rather than standing in the throw zone of the shavings.

robo hippy