1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum migration is complete. We had some issues with the hosting provider and I had to restore the server a 2nd time so if you happened to post from about 9:30pm - 11pm PST your post may have been removed. Please double check to see if its still there. If you have any issues post them in the technical support forum or email the AAW Forum Staff at forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Snake Bite

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Roger Chandler, Jul 31, 2020.

  1. Roger Chandler

    Roger Chandler

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2009
    Messages:
    682
    According to an email I got from our club [Central Virginia Woodturners] one of our members, Barbara Dill was bitten by a copperhead snake yesterday and spent the night in the hospital. We wish her the best for a speedy recovery with no lasting issues. I have no further info on how it happened or where, just that Barbara was bitten according to a facebook posting.
     
  2. john lucas

    john lucas AAW Forum Expert

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2004
    Messages:
    7,420
    Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Keep us posted. She is one of my favorite turners.
     
  3. Roger Chandler

    Roger Chandler

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2009
    Messages:
    682
    From the WoW forum: Marshall Gorrow: I just read an update on Facebook by Shelly Klinger (Barbara's wife). She wrote, "Update on Barbara‘s progress: she is at St. Mary’s until at least tonight. The local pain and swelling have thankfully not progressed to any systematic involvement, labs and vital signs stable, no need for anti-venom. Good news overall, but it’s painful thank you for your good thoughts and prayers."

    Edit: Even more good news; Barbara has been released from the hospital and is going home.
    1 hr ago Edited
     
    Mike Adams and James Seyfried like this.
  4. barbara dill

    barbara dill

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    Messages:
    10
    Location (City & State):
    Rockville, Virginia
    Home Page:
    Thank you all for your concern. I survived but it was probably the most painful experience of my life. I'm totally over it and am much more aware of my surroundings!!
     
    odie and Emiliano Achaval like this.
  5. john lucas

    john lucas AAW Forum Expert

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2004
    Messages:
    7,420
    Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Glad to hear Barbara. My best friend from years ago got bit on the ankle. only one fang actually went in because it hit the ankle bone. They decided not to give him any aniti venon becuase they said that would be worse than the bite he got. He was pretty miserable for 4 or 5 days.
     
  6. John Torchick

    John Torchick

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,658
    Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Good! Even a non-venomous bite is subject to infection.
     
  7. Lamar Wright

    Lamar Wright

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2017
    Messages:
    668
    Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    I was bitten by a cottonmouth snake when I was 6 years old. I can remember the severe pain in my foot. It was in the Summer and as kids we went bare footed all Summer. My mother rushed my to the hospital which was a long drive form our home in the country. My mother was driving our old 1946 Chevy coupe as fast as it would go! When I got to the hospital the doctor had a suction machine to get what venom out that he could from my foot. My foot was twice the size for a few days. Main thing we were concerned with was infection. Took a couple of weeks for my foot to totally heal and I wore shoes from the on. Glad Barbara is doing fine, I know first hand what she went through.
     
    odie likes this.
  8. Emiliano Achaval

    Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2015
    Messages:
    2,244
    Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    Yet another reason I'm thankful that I live in Hawaii, no snakes here! Barbara: I'm glad you are doing well. Aloha
     
  9. robo hippy

    robo hippy

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    2,949
    Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    The suction idea for snake bites was gone a long time ago. I used to carry a snake bite kit when I was a kid. Razor, bandages, and a rubber 'suction' thing. Thing is that by the time you get to a doctor, the venom is already absorbed..... Even if you cut in immediately, it is into the muscles, and you end up with a cut that needs to be treated...

    robo hippy
     
    Charles Cadenhead likes this.
  10. john lucas

    john lucas AAW Forum Expert

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2004
    Messages:
    7,420
    Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Yes Reed is correct. They stopped.recommending the suction method quite a few years ago. And of course the stupid suck the poison out with your mouth that was always toughted in the westerns was a really dumb thing. Reminds me of a really bad joke that ended with " he says your gonna die kemosavi.
    The recommended treatment now if you cant get to a doctor shortly is to put a light constricting band around the limb above the bite and then get to a doctor as soon as possible.
     
  11. robo hippy

    robo hippy

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    2,949
    Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    You can ingest the venom and it won't hurt you because your system will digest it fine. If it gets into your muscles, that is a whole different thing...

    robo hippy
     
  12. John Torchick

    John Torchick

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,658
    Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Some snakes are so venomous that a trip to the doctor is useless. Vietnam had the "two step" snake. Get bit and go two steps and you are dead (Chickenhawk by Robert Mason). Peter Hathaway Capstick's book, Death in the Long Grass, tells of a fellow who was found in his canoe. He was bitten by a black mamba, opened his antivenom kit and died before he could use it.
    Statistics show that people who were bitten by a snake was close to it.
     

Share This Page