1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum migration is complete. We had some issues with the hosting provider and I had to restore the server a 2nd time so if you happened to post from about 9:30pm - 11pm PST your post may have been removed. Please double check to see if its still there. If you have any issues post them in the technical support forum or email the AAW Forum Staff at forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Slick stick.

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Glenn Lefley, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Glenn Lefley

Glenn Lefley

Location (City & State):
    Invermere, British Columbia
    Anyone try making a cleaner to clean cbn wheels and lube bandsaw blades. I have all these ingredients at home. The Microcrystalline wax I have from Lee valley tools. Do you thing a double boiler with all ingredients, outside of course would work. Going to try This week unless anyone can see a huge issue mixing these? Can’t see why I would need the tallow. I realize the slick stick is not that expensive, but importing into Canada, shipping etc. Killer, at least for a woodturner with a tool wish list longer than my arm,

this is from msds sheets from company on slick stick. 5B110A21-1D3D-4B43-AFC6-D74803C0C37E.jpeg

2. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    For cleaning my CBN wheels, I figure there are 2 options. One, from Dave Schweitzer, former owner of D Way tools, he would soak them in water with some Simple Green cleaner and then brush them off. For me, I just dab a bit of honing fluid on the bevel of my tools once in a while to keep the wheel clean. It seems that most of the color on the wheel, for me because I turn green wood, is gunk from the wood. It doesn't seem to impair the cutting ability, but just doesn't look good. There are aluminum oxide sticks that some sell that are intended for cleaning the CBN wheels. I have tried them, and they do send up a lot of dust into the air, and kind of clean off the wheel. The only reason I can think of for using them is if you get some metal build up on the wheel from sharpening unhardened metal on the wheel. When that happens to me, I just use the honing fluid and take a scraper and sharpen it several times. It does the job, and no nasty dust in the air, well, other than the metal.

As for bandsaw blades, I have given up on trying to lubricate them to keep gunk off of them. Maybe if some one invents some sort of teflon type of coating that will actually stay on the blade for longer than 2 or 3 revolutions, I would consider that. Every thing else I have tried, Pam, Glide Coat, walnut oil, and maybe a few others, is gone faster than the grinder burr on a NRS...

robo hippy

Donovan Bailey and Bill Boehme like this.
  3. Russell Nugent

Russell Nugent

Location (City & State):
    Bashaw, Alberta
    Anything I've ever used to lube a bandsaw blade makes it come off the wheels on my cheap king bandsaw.

4. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I just received 2 of the slick sticks, have not tried them yet. I will report later what I think.

5. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Location (City & State):
    Funen, Denmark
    @Emiliano: Have you had time to get an impression of the Slick Stick product? Or anyone else?
    Ken Rizza's video is clear when it comes to showing the effect on copper embedded in the cbn but I'd much rather hear what it can do with mild steel and brass?(You've guessed it, a newb was allowed to try a Varigrind jig on my CBN wheel :confused:)
    And equally interesting but maybe too early to tell: Does it effectively keep stuff from sticking to the wheel?
    TIA, Lars

6. Emiliano Achaval

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    @Lars Hansen I do not have any cameras with a microscope like Ken Rizza. But, I do feel like the stick did clean up my wheel. Especially the 180 grit.

7. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Location (City & State):
    Funen, Denmark
    @Emiliano: Thanks. Could you share a bit about what stuff the Stick removed? Steel, organic material from wood or...?

8. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    I applied the slick stick the day I got it because I have lots of homemade tools made from High Carbon steel. I had not noticed any problems sharpening them but when I saw the slick stick I decided it was easily worth the money to try it out. I also applied it to my Bandsaw blade. Haven't really noticed a difference in either yet bit I will be cutting a bunch of green wood in the next few weeks and will see if it helps cut down on the gunking of the blade with that. I don't typically grind copper or aluminum or soft metals on my CBN's but since I'm always building things and have to walk all the way across the room to simply knock off an edge I might give it a try.

9. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Hey Emiliano, I was waiting for you to comment on the thread where some one was asking about an inside bowl rest for a calabash shape.... It was at the top of the list this morning.

robo hippy

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  10. Emiliano Achaval

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I got my CBN wheels years ago. I'm guessing they will last several years more. I got them from Dway tools, $250 each. I try to clean up the tools when I sharpen, I use a welding 3M cleaning pad to take all the sap or anything left on the bevel. Some students grinded the ancient square Ellsworth holder into the wheel, the aluminum was noticeable. The stick got some of it off, and the wheel feels again a bit sharper.

11. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Location (City & State):
    Funen, Denmark
    Thanks, Emiliano.