• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

skew sharpening video

As always, a top notch video! Thanks John. I always enjoy watching your videos. I always learn something. I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on concave vs convex sharpened skews.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Brian I'm still playing with it and plan a day soon to really work with skews of different grinds to understand them better. My thoughts so far is that it's good for some things and not as good at others. I have trouble turning beads with it but planing cuts seem about the same as flat skews. Turning coves seems a bet easier but then most people don't use a skew for that.

Website
www.docwks.com
John do most of your videos have sound? I can hear Capt. Eddie just fine, but I don't hear anything on yours. This video I see you talking so that's why I asked.
Bill

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Every now and then someone posts that my video's don't have sound. They do. I really don't know the problem. I've asked my boss who is computer whiz and he doesn't know either but suspects it's something on your end.

Probably the codec for his computer. Try logging into you tube and loading the video through your logged in you tube account. Just do a search for John Lucas in you tube. That should update your codecs automatically.

Website
www.docwks.com
Thanks John, as a web coordinator I deal with these issues everyday. I'll try to carve out some time in the near furture and see where the audio is being blocked. It may be our wonderful corporate firewall, I doubt it's a codec issue. I'll let you know if and when I find anything.

Website
www.docwks.com
I did forget to add one thing...with or without sound I really enjoy your videos. Well done, while video is part of my job I well do everyting in my power to sluff it off to our marketing people. I mean they've won awards...and they have apples, the PCs not the fruit, and my arm hurts. I think they are starting to catch on as I've been wearing the same sling for years.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
doc If the sling actually works I'm ordering one tomorrow. I need to farm out some of the work I do to other people on the staff. :)

Thank you for the video and sharing your expertise! As for audio: In my system, your audio comes out of the left speaker only. In a perfect world, audio would come out both speakers. Perhaps that's why some people are not hearing you. Thanks again,
Craig

Last edited:
John has excellent videos. I have had the opportunity to see him do demos are our local chapter plus he does a good demo on sharpening tools. BTW, I can hear the sound OK.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thank you for the video and sharing your expertise! As for audio: In my system, your audio comes out of the left speaker only. In a perfect world, audio would come out both speakers. Perhaps that's why some people are not hearing you. Thanks again,
Craig

The left channel is the only one with sound, but on the positive side, I only have hearing in my left ear. :D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
That’s really weird… whilst watching on my iPad last night with my earbuds it was the right side for me… weird. ;)

Is there a right and left earbud? I think a lot of consumer audio devices don't pay much attention to keeping left and right straight.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Is there a right and left earbud? I think a lot of consumer audio devices don't pay much attention to keeping left and right straight.

I don’t think it’s so much the fault of consumer audio devices as it is ME. Stick em in the ears and go — but maybe I got my left and right ears all mixed up!

(yes, they are marked L & R, but I never paid that much mind.)

Back