• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Simple wood tools

I'm wondering what the difference is between easy wood tools higher cost, and simple wood tools lower cost and still made in America. Is there a reason to pay more for the easy wood tools? I have the full size easy wood tools finisher and it's pretty good; I'm just not sure about buying from simple wood tools because I haven't heard that much about them.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Not at all sure what you're talking about. Are you saying that easy tools are more complicated than simple ones? Most woodturning tools are pretty simple, and easy if you know how to use them. :D

Last edited:
I should have been more descriptive; I meant the two tool companies Easy wood tools vs Simple wood tools

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The only Carbides I have used are the Hunter.
http://huntertoolsystems.com/

@john lucas has a lot of posts and videos on the various Hunter tools. He may add something here too.

Depending on how much woodturning you plan to do, you might consider gouges.
in general bowl turning the gouges remove wood faster and leave better finish than the carbides.
For endgrain hollowing of boxes or goblets the Hunter carbides will leave a better finish.

a spindle or detail gouge will do a whole lot better job on spindles than any of the carbides.

the robust. 5/8 bowl gouge is a great tool if you use the Ellsworth grind or similar.
The detail gouge will get you started in spindles.
http://www.turnrobust.com/product/turners-edge/

I do use bowl gouges. I was thinking for hollowing the sides of curved bowls and so forth where the gouge is hard to get in to. I have two hunter tools and they are pretty good,the bar could be bigger though.

I have carbides tools from several different companies. Recently I've been buying the easy wood negative rake tips and using them on my non-easy wood tools. They fit, work great and the easy wood tips seem sharper longer than other brands I've tried.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
.most of the flat carbide cutters are pretty much identical except for the tapered screw sizes. Easy wood tools have the negative rake cutters. woodpecker tools have a more polished edge and the shaft that holds the tool is superior to.others in that they were designed to make it easy to use them as bevel rubbing tools. The Hunter tools are different because the cutter is cupped and leaves a cleaner finish. When used as a scraper most all the carbides function the same.

I do use bowl gouges. I was thinking for hollowing the sides of curved bowls and so forth where the gouge is hard to get in to. I have two hunter tools and they are pretty good,the bar could be bigger though.

If you want a larger bar look at the Hunter Viceroy. Great tool with a #1 cutter

Back