1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forum migration is complete. We had some issues with the hosting provider and I had to restore the server a 2nd time so if you happened to post from about 9:30pm - 11pm PST your post may have been removed. Please double check to see if its still there. If you have any issues post them in the technical support forum or email the AAW Forum Staff at forum_moderator@aawforum.org. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Silicone vs. HDPE Molds

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Larry Steinmetz, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Larry Steinmetz

Larry Steinmetz

Location (City & State):
    Alvin, TX
    Hello,

I am curious if there is a preference for the silicone molds like PTownSubbie sells or the HDPE molds from Lizard Blanks? I notice that PT sells HDPE as well. Is it based on what you are casting or just a material preference? Thanks.

Tom Albrecht likes this.
  2. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Location (City & State):
    Peoria, Illinois
    I haven't checked recently, but the silicone molds always had a nub to locate and seal off the brass tube for casting with the tube in place. The HDPE was just casting a block of resin and not with the tube in place. Has this changed?

3. Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Jackson, NJ
    Home Page:
    You can get HDPE molds with squared off silicone plugs for the tubes.

4. Larry Steinmetz

Larry Steinmetz

Location (City & State):
    Alvin, TX
    I contacted Fred Wissen at ptownstubbie.com and got what I thought was a very informative answer to my question about the difference:

"The first question I always ask is what resin you plan to use. If you plan to use epoxy, I try to push to HDPE if that is an option. Epoxy wears silicone quickly. It works fine in silicone just doesn't last as long.

If you're not using epoxy, silicone is as good of an option as HDPE. Silicone is faster to demold since you don't have to take the mold apart. If you're just casting color blanks, the vertical molds save 30% resin volume so that is another reason since you can't get verticals in HDPE that work well each time.

It really comes down to your intended use on which way I recommend you go. If you want to talk about options on the phone let me know. You'll get a lot more knowledge that way than I can type! LOL!

Hope that helps a little!"