• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Signing your work?

I like to sign & date my pieces when I give them away. I now just use a fine Sharpie on the bottom. What are some of the better ways to do this? I’ve explored brands, engraving, etc. How you sign yours?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use a Dremel engraver for 90 percent. I use pyrography for a small few pieces and permanent markers for my Christmas Ornaments. The trick to using the Dremel is use a very light touch and don't move fast. For signing with pyrography a light touch and light heat. Neither is very easy on woods that have large pores like Ash, Oak. Pyrogaphy is especially difficult on woods that have a very soft summer ring and hard winter rings. Both require lots of practice. Here are some examples of both.signing-turnings.jpg

This is one I’ve thought about but haven’t tried as of yet.
Cindy Drozda is a fan of engraving then filling with some light colored (often gold) wax and includes a short bit on it at the end of her finial box demos. On dark woods it's very striking. I believe it is included on her DVD "Finial Boxes" but don't know if there are any such videos on her site or on line.

Website
www.youtube.com
Cindy Drozda is a fan of engraving then filling with some light colored (often gold) wax and includes a short bit on it at the end of her finial box demos. On dark woods it's very striking. I believe it is included on her DVD "Finial Boxes" but don't know if there are any such videos on her site or on line.
Dean, I believe the video of Cindy Drozda you refer to is on YouTube "Gold Filled Engraving on Wood"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1jt19cSno

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I tried the filling technique but the wood needs to be very fine grain. Any grain or pores at all and they fill with the wax and looks terrible.

I ordered a 1" x 1" wood "brand" that I heat with a torch and burn into my pieces. I sent in a graphic file which they turned into a carbon branding iron. However, I will still have to add the year/date with a pyrography pen

Attachments

• KOCH-finalwoodstamp.jpg
    KOCH-finalwoodstamp.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 13
I ordered a 1" x 1" wood "brand" that I heat with a torch and burn into my pieces. I sent in a graphic file which they turned into a carbon branding iron. However, I will still have to add the year/date with a pyrography pen
Where did you purchase your brand?

I had our local Epilog Laser rep make some 1-1/8" medallions using my studio logo. He used cherry veneer ply 1/8" thick. It was a very quick process. I do still date and wood species in black sharpie or white or silver paint pen.

DragonHollow.png

Back