• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Signature on pictures of our Work ?

To add ? or not to add ? a signature to the pictures you take of your work and why ? I see some who do and more who do not. I grew up taking art classes and we almost always signed our work and then any pictures of your work had a signature. So i guess for me it seems that its natural to want to sign pictures of my turnings as well since my signature is usually on the bottom of my piece and not visible in most pics. Especially in the internet age that we are in now and with others using our pics as if they made the item in the pic and not giving credit and i'm not saying that happens on this site--but i do belong to a lot of social media sites where occasionally that is a thing. I would love to hear or discuss, why you do or why you don't and or why you should or why you should not, and other thoughts on this subject ?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I'd say it all boils down to a personal choice. If it's important to you, then do it! :D

My bowls all have a stylized logo made from my initials. From my POV, that's enough. If my bowls ever become distinguishable among the many, then the logo is all that is necessary. I never did like turnings that have a lot of information....signature, date, number, species, and all that. Some feel that is "professional" looking......I have reserved feelings about that, and they are a product of my history:

When I was a young buck, and a student/appreciator of the fine arts, all my paintings had a very unimposing signature. I was warned by my instructors that the signatures that stand out were a direct indication of the artist's ego......if the viewer wanted to know who you are, they'll look for it.

Those are my opinions, and it's perfectly ok that others may differ. :)

-----odie-----

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I've actually given this some thought and put my signature/logo on the bottom before I take pictures. I decided that it was a bit misleading to show the picture of the bottom of the bowl, which I always include in my online listings, as blank and then put a logo or signature on the bottom after they bought it. I can't imagine someone would object but, I've "changed" the product after they purchased it if I don't put it on up front. Plus I think it adds to the appeal to see it signed/stamped. At my level I'm not worried anyone is using my online pics as representations of their work - maybe someday.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've actually given this some thought and put my signature/logo on the bottom before I take pictures. I decided that it was a bit misleading to show the picture of the bottom of the bowl, which I always include in my online listings, as blank and then put a logo or signature on the bottom after they bought it. I can't imagine someone would object but, I've "changed" the product after they purchased it if I don't put it on up front. Plus I think it adds to the appeal to see it signed/stamped. At my level I'm not worried anyone is using my online pics as representations of their work - maybe someday.

That's an interesting take you have, Randy.....:D

Do you feel your bowls have a better appearance, without a signature? I kind of think that way when a turner uses a sharpie to sign......it all seems a bit too "casual", for lack of a better term. Everyone should have a signature of their choosing, but it should be done in a manner that reflects a certain nod to tradition and permanence......but, there I go with my personal opinions again. If a sharpie is what works for anyone else, go for it! :)

This reminds me of a bowl I once sold, and the customer requested I remove my logo from the bottom of the bowl before shipping it. I suppose the request might have been for legitimate reasons, but then again, it could have been for unethical reasons as well. I returned the customers money, and refused the sale......

-----odie-----

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Odie, never had anyone request I remove it but have had them request I sign it when they buy it. I wasn't signing them early on and forgot before I set them on the table for sale. I keep my archival ink pen on hand. Once had a lady come back for me to sign it after she bought it. I think signed adds to the look and personal touch and if someone objected to it I would really question why. Bold of you to refuse the sale - likely a wise move. I know the debate over sign vs brand is covered here in other threads and I'm still a bit torn. My daughter gave me a custom logo for Christmas - came up with the design, had all the digital files done, cards made for my shop, stamp, etc. I really like it (attached) and have used it a few times but also feel the freehand signature (date, no date, species, etc - another debate) is appealing. I've decided for now to use the stamp with archival ink. It's only 1" across so fits easily on whatever I make.

Attachments

• RA-Stamp and Brand_Logo.jpg
    RA-Stamp and Brand_Logo.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 8
I might as well give my personal opinion. Again just an opinion that may differ from you. I don’t feel using a stamp indicates the piece is made by a craftsman/artist. That doesn’t mean it is not, but not the image that comes to my mind. More a commercial piece to me. I feel a signature and is also better than initials. I sign my full name using either a wood burner or vibro tool. Never had anyone show dislike. I imagine it is a 50-50 split on this subject.

In regard to signature on photos it doesn’t matter to me. I don’t usually.

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Short of signing a Post-It Note and sticking it on the work I have no idea how I would get my name in the photo. If it were easy I might do it.
That's the easy part when you use Lightroom and Photoshop.

Lots of great reply's and thoughts so far. Although like Emiliano pointed out, my question here is more on putting a signature or not putting a signature on our photographs (not talking about the actual turnings) before sharing the photo's online. Like most of you, I do sign my work on the bottom and I think most of us agree that as we grow as artist's /woodturners & craftsman, at some point we do start signing our work and decide for ourselves that we want to and should. So, I guess for me, since personally, I feel I should sign the bottom of my work in most cases and have made that decision for myself to sign my work, and with that in my mind, why would we, not, want our signature on our photos as well, unless its already visible on the turning in the photos?
Not that I am very good at photography and or presentation and I am still growing and improving as an artist craftsman and woodturner. But, as I am still learning and evolving, the more I evolve the more I understand that photographing our work and presentation of our work is more and more important. Especially with everyone now having more and more of an online presence. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't adding our signature to our photographs of our work, not have the same effect in a lot of ways as signing the bottom of our work? And, also have some social media benefits as well. Like, helping people recognize our work easier and at a glimpse - helping to set our work and our name apart from the other 1000+ items on google or social media or woodturning sites or wherever you like to share - I believe it in some ways, maybe, helps slow the spread of plagiarism or people just using /sharing our photo's without giving credit to the creator (that seems to be growing these days)
I personally feel that by adding my signature on my work itself, that I am not trying to say I am better than or even as good as any other woodturner or artist or creator or hobbyist or craftsman that is adding a signature, but, That I am proud of what I have created and that I hope someone else enjoys it too and maybe just maybe they remember my name and will want to see more of what I make.
So - back to the original question I assume quite a few of you feel this way as well? So, why do not more of us not add their signature to their photos? I suspect a lot of us (myself included) are still adapting to the ever changing online world --hence this post (because that's me in a lot of ways) and my desire to understand and research this more as honestly - I personally am on the fence about adding a signature to the photography of my work, I don't consider myself as a professional like a lot of those I see adding a signature are and am not wanting to even try and compare myself to them. But at the same time I do feel that in this day and age it is becoming more and more something we should be doing.

I don't sign my signature to my gallery photos..........really never thought about it. I see that some turners do sign photos of their work and that is fine. The signatures that I see on the photos are very artistic and look very professional. Only thing I do is use my initials on back of my pieces.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Just getting decent pictures is still my challenge but something to consider. Never really thought about the photos that way. I spent just a few minutes now and added my logo to one of my shop pictures. It's not hard to do with basic windows photo editing. Thinking on it a bit I don't think adding my signature or logo to the pics is something I'll take the time to do. If someone wants to "borrow" one of my pics and use it somewhere I don't see how I could be harmed. I guess the risk is that someone uses it in a publication and I don't get credit for it. Low risk for me I think.

After thinking about this I’m not sure either. I dont see a downside other than the time to add a signature or brand to a pic, which I have not done and will be exploring. I tend to think it’s easily done once the front work is accomplished. For those with significant commercial success it makes perfect sense. For the majority of us Its neither here nor there. Do what you like or want. I’ve been working on my pic skills the past week, and I will be investigating how to add a signature. I’ll just see how it looks.

My 2 cents from a rank novice. Map makers include fictitious features in their maps. Little things that are barely noticeable. it is their way to protect their work and tell if copied. For instance on some ADC maps, my driveway is labeled as a public road. On the competitor to ADC, a small pond is shown on a neighbor's farm that does not exist. Many decades ago, I knew a photographer who took pictures of small products for ad campaigns. Computers were not as sophisticated then. His back round was always a special poster he had printed with not only his name like a placard, but his initials in a subtle design in the entire back round. Had to be blown up to see the initials. How many times do you see celebrities pictures taken with a banner for the event and sponsors in a design on the back drop. Same idea just more blatant. Might be a suggestion if you think somebody might try to claim your work as theirs.

Back