1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Shoe Covers

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Paul Grenier, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Paul Grenier

Paul Grenier

Location (City & State):
    Mossup, CT
    What do you call and where can I get the shoe covers that cover the ankles and the tops of footwear to prevent wood chips / shavings from getting into my shoes and shoe laces?

2. Donna Banfield

Donna Banfield

Location (City & State):
    Derry, NH
    Forrest Forschmiedt likes this.
  3. Russ Braun

Russ Braun

Location (City & State):
    Torrance, CA
    The should show the red ones, I can barely see the Camo ones, lol!

Donna Banfield likes this.
  4. Forrest Forschmiedt

Forrest Forschmiedt

Location (City & State):
    Martinsville, VA
    Home Page:
    Spats is what they are called. It took me a few minutes to recall that word as it's been a long time since I've used it.
    Years ago when I worked in welding supply, we sold leather spats to keep sparks and spatter off of and out of your work boots.
    Search Amazon for welding spats or see your local welding supply store. Should be fairly inexpensive.

5. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    I have those, and they do work pretty well. The only drawback to the design, is occasionally I step on one with the other foot. It hasn't yet, but I see that as a possible safety issue. (That is a rip-off price.......but, they do seem to last forever.)

That is a great idea! I found these on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/QeeLink-Leat...ding+spats&qid=1600268637&sr=8-28&tag=mh0b-20
    They do look like they might be hot during the summertime. You only really need to cover the laces, and around the ankles......and, this does look like they do. Cheaper than the DBG ones, and better made, it looks like. I may give these a try......next time I have an order that needs to be bumped for free shipping.

---------------------------------------------------

There is another alternative, which I've never tried yet, but it was suggested in another discussion about this: Baby bibs! This is the least expensive option of all:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D6AQQ1C/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1
    (I also have these in my cart, waiting for the time I'll need something to get free shipping.)

-----odie-----

6. Timothy Allen

Timothy Allen

Location (City & State):
    NH and ME
    Another term that might work is "gaiters" although these are more for keeping snow out of your ankle and less about the top of the shoe...

Charles Cadenhead likes this.
  7. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Bring back Bell Bottom jeans!!!

robo hippy

8. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    I'm with Robo. Bell bottoms are the way to go. I have a set of the sanding glove shoe covers but 99% of the time I forget to put them on. They just sit in a drawer and then I bitch when the sawdust is aggravating my feet and impossible to get out of my socks.

Paul Lajoie likes this.
  9. Kevin Jesequel

Kevin Jesequel

Location (City & State):
    Portland, Oregon
    Trail runners wear gaiters to keep small rocks from flying into the tops of their shoes. I never thought about using them to keep wood chips out at the lathe. Great idea!

odie likes this.
  10. Dave Landers

Dave Landers

Location (City & State):
    Estes Park, CO
    Home Page:
    I find that my socks are the biggest culprit for tracking wood chips and sawdust into the more civilized living spaces.

So mostly I don't wear socks (or "real" shoes) in the shop. I usually head to the shop barefoot, and have a pair of Crocks at the shop door that I slip on. Not a great fashion statement, but they do shed the chips.

11. BobCoates

BobCoates

+1 for Dave's method. Now really cheap, cut the back out of a old pair of shoes for cheap crocks.

12. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    My back doesn’t like me turning in crocks. I wear teva sports sandals. Usually the closed toe type.
    These have an arch support that my back approves of.
    I leave mine in the garage and put them on to go to the shop.

Charles Cadenhead and odie like this.
  13. Donna Banfield

Donna Banfield

Location (City & State):
    Derry, NH
    There is another alternative, which I've never tried yet, but it was suggested in another discussion about this: Baby bibs! This is the least expensive option of all:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D6AQQ1C/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1
    (I also have these in my cart, waiting for the time I'll need something to get free shipping.)

-----odie-----[/QUOTE]
    Odie, the material those baby bibs are made of are horrible for woodturning. The fabric on one side is microfiber cloth, and while very absorbent to catch junior's drips, it will also make any wood chip, curl or shaving stick like velcro. It must be picked off - individually - and doesn't come off in the laundry, either. It seems to come out of the washer with even more crap stuck to it. Don't ask me how I know this. Sheesh!!

Charles Cadenhead and odie like this.
  14. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    Ah who needs them for some reason my jeans won't stay on my waist So the bottom of the jeans piles up on my shoes and keeps most of the shavings off of my socks. The bell bottoms would also work but they are hard to come by, my older sisters sons wore them but when the little girls came my sister made two dresses out of each pair.

15. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    I remember when bellbottoms were first popular I would see kids wearing regular pants that had a wedge of material added to the bottom of the jeans leg to make them into bellbottoms. More than one way to dress a hippie!

odie likes this.
  16. Dean Center

Dean Center

Location (City & State):
    Bozeman, MT
    You turn in shorts!!!

odie likes this.
  17. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Odie, the material those baby bibs are made of are horrible for woodturning. The fabric on one side is microfiber cloth, and while very absorbent to catch junior's drips, it will also make any wood chip, curl or shaving stick like velcro. It must be picked off - individually - and doesn't come off in the laundry, either. It seems to come out of the washer with even more crap stuck to it. Don't ask me how I know this. Sheesh!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, Donna :D

I just dropped the baby bibs off the "wish list".......

Think I might give those welder's spats a try, though.

Still using the DBG shoe covers......they do get the job done, with that one small caveat.

Have a good day, lady......:D

-----odie-----

18. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    No air conditioning in my shop......so, yes, in the summer.......shorts, sandals, and T-shirt! :D

-----odie-----

Lamar Wright likes this.
  19. Karl Best

Karl Best

Location (City & State):
    Boyertown, Pennsylvania
    Last week the weather turned cooler and I put pants back on. No more shavings in my socks.

odie likes this.
  20. Charles Cadenhead

Charles Cadenhead

Location (City & State):
    Tallahassee, FL
    I find shavings get into my pockets. I have to go through my shirts and shorts and turn out all my pockets before the Boss washes them! :D

odie likes this.
  21. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Well, one year we had below 0 temperatures outside for a few days, and I turned then in long pants and a thermal long sleeved shirt. That shop was cold... I over heat if I am in long pants. I have found that a broom will do a good job of getting most of the shavings out of my socks, and my Merril slip ons, kind of like crocks, have nice arch support, and just tap them and the dust is gone. Well, most of it. There are Tyvek painter's outfits which shed chips very well, but too hot for me. Can't turn bare foot as I wear pressure stockings, though they would shed shavings nicely...

robo hippy

22. Lou Jacobs

Lou Jacobs

Location (City & State):
    Baltimore, MD
    My wife sewed these sort-of-gaiters for me. They are just a rectangle of nylon fabric with a stretch of Velcro on the top edge. They do a great job of keeping the chips out of my socks and shoes when I’m turning in shorts. Used a piece of fabric cut from an old discarded windbreaker. The only real cost was the Velcro. CE26FB5D-A133-40AE-88A8-C4B1769B94F2.jpeg 5F28F56B-3B2F-41D3-B163-4E952B1207EC.jpeg

Dean Center and odie like this.
  23. William J Smith

William J Smith

Location (City & State):
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The Boss seems to know when I'm about to come back into the house. She does a once over and sends me back to the shop if I haven't vacuumed myself clean. For some reason, she blames me for every piece of saw dust she finds! I think the spats may help -- at least they'll remind me to vacuum.

odie likes this.
  24. Hal Taylor

Hal Taylor

Location (City & State):
    Greenwood, SC
    Home Page:
    Gaiters... Lots of choices on Amazon. I use them and have found you need to have them under your pant legs to efficiently keep shavings/dust out of your shoes.

25. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    There is something about this reply that doesn't sound right I think.

26. Arkriver

Arkriver

Location (City & State):
    Pueblo West, CO
    I have to wonder about turning in sandals. I guess you never drop anything. Allyn

27. Charles Cadenhead

Charles Cadenhead

Location (City & State):
    Tallahassee, FL
    odie likes this.
  28. Josh Stevens

Josh Stevens

Location (City & State):
    Australia
  29. Bill Blasic

Bill Blasic

Location (City & State):
    Erie, PA
    Put Leather Welding Spats into search box on Ebay and for about 12 bucks leather spats that cover the entire foot. The Crocs I like to wear turning have 13 air holes that collect chips, these spats cover them nicely.

odie likes this.
  30. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Thanks Bill....eBay was a better place to get them. I bought the $14.99 ones with free shipping from a USA shipper.......

Wish I had these spats at the beginning of summer, when I'm wearing shorts, and minimal shoes.......I'm just starting to wear long athletic pants again, and don't have as much need for them now! :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weldas-44-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This AAW forum has been a great place for making little discoveries that improve my shop world! :D

-----odie-----

31. odie

odie

Location (City & State):

Ha,ha.....not on your life! My old body just doesn't fashion well these days! :D Those athletic pants I've been using are very loose and comfortable. :)

-----odie-----

Tom Gall and Mark Jundanian like this.
  32. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Hal's comment about having them under your pant leg was a flash back for me. When I did concrete work, you have to wear the high top rubber boots. I always put my pant legs over the top of the boots. If I didn't, I would get concrete, sand, and gravel into my rubber boots, and you don't have time to take them off and empty them when pouring.....

robo hippy

33. Roger Wiegand

Roger Wiegand

Location (City & State):
    Wayland, MA
    Home Page:
    Just thinking about open toed shoes in the shop makes me cringe. I'd be in the ER twice a month getting toes stitched up or put back on. You guys must be a lot more careful than I can manage to be.

I wear a pair of high top Redwings and, for 10 months a year anyway, my pants extend over top of them and chips are no problem. The other two months when shorts are a reasonable option I have itchy chips poking me in the ankles. Wearing my spiffy new AAW smock solves the problem of filling my pockets with shavings.