• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

shoe bibs

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
This time of year, many of us turners wear shorts in the shop to stay cool. The problem with that is the chips get lodged in your socks and shoes......making it darn near impossible to keep from transporting chips into your home. I've been wearing these "shoe bibs" for the past few years, and they work very well for the purpose. They are easy on, and easy off with a velcro tab in the back. :D

-----odie-----
IMG_3850 (2).JPG

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have some of those Odie. I hardly ever wear them but for some reason the shavings in my socks really got to me lately so I started wearing them. They work wonderfully. On smaller projects I just forget and my shoes are already covered before I remember I have those things.

Great idea Odie, I wear shorts most of the time in Summer months. My wife sews a lot an I'll get her to make me a pair of these. :D

This time of year, many of us turners wear shorts in the shop to stay cool. The problem with that is the chips get lodged in your socks and shoes......making it darn near impossible to keep from transporting chips into your home. I've been wearing these "shoe bibs" for the past few years, and they work very well for the purpose. They are easy on, and easy off with a velcro tab in the back. :D

-----odie-----
View attachment 25902
I like them. Where do you get them? I googled them and Amazon doesn't have them anymore. Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

odie

TOTW Team
I like them. Where do you get them? I googled them and Amazon doesn't have them anymore. Thanks
I'm pretty sure I got mine at Woodcraft, but not available now.

Another option might to get some baby bibs and use them for the same purpose. These come in a 2-pack at Walmart for $8.......but, I've never tried them. It looks like they might work.....

click:
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/3155055449336301387_17165810967271255532_8175035

9di2AtsbvZoBoaJ_zN0cDfkUczEy5QJMZg6CJ84Sx0EOi4YNMzU-wPo4KfmW3LM4MCSV7EKgsn8Q-Y-YXYgN0AcrHJF9Cqa5xJeWVyw9fRRMytnkHFD2iNUslSu0ypXupOK91JGM2Js4Bj-HT3BMyvLJwz3bwrxzOwi9WiVdsZ_SRdbaxGX3R44-kQs014LV05ygbPX6tNenmjBkI1Y=s500-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

I have been wearing flip flops. In summer I seldom wear real shoes anyway, even out doing farm chores.

I wear Teva sandals almost exclusively in summertime (except Sunday morning!). BUT, they freak me out in the shop... the thought of some sharp or heavy object hitting my unprotected toes is scary! So it is always at least tennis shoes when turning!

Ely :D

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ely I always wear tennis shoes in the shop except during the winter. About 20 years ago or so I dropped a skew and it landed point first in the arch of my foot. I literally had to pluck it out. Hurt like you know what. Didn't cure me, I still wear tennis shoes and now my skews are actually sharper so I guess I better not drop another one. Oh that reminds me. I had one fall off the lathe bed from vibration. It landed on the input line to the lathe and shorted out the wires. What are the odds of that happening.

odie

TOTW Team
odie, would you get the baby bibs with the duckies or the teddy bears?:rolleyes:

Ha,ha......well, if I just HAD to make the choice......it would prolly be the duckies! :D

-----odie-----

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My friend in Kentucky who is an older ex hippie just goes barefoot. That stops all the shavings in shoe problem.

May be a bit off topic but follows John Lucas' post. Recently, the Little League World Series had a team from Africa. When they were given their uniforms, it is revealed they had never played in shoes! They played barefoot on dirt ball fields.

OK @odie, I have you to thank for this fashion statement! :) Good thing I didn't go with the red ones.

Don't care much about my socks, but I was finding that shavings were getting caught in my shoe laces. Wouldn't mind if these were long enough to cover the toes of my shoes, but the toes clean off more easily.

Last edited:
A bit late on the reply but I just happened on this thread. I haven't worn shorts for years - one of my legs can't get hot as it is made of metal and the other is very skinny from post polio syndrome. But as my shop is in my bedroom I'm not worried about bringing the wood chips into the house, they are already in it <g>. My shoes are Duluth Trading heavy leather "slip-ons" and they are winter boots and summer sneakers and dress shoes - changing the shoe on a prosthetic leg is a real project (the foot doesn't bend much).

Good thread, and I'd try the "shoe bibs" if it weren't quicker to hit my shoe toes with a quick suck from my shop vac that is next to my lathe before returning to the living room. BTW, the above is not a complaint - it is a boast and a statement that one does not have to give up the pleasures of wood working as one ages and loses some capabilities. I can stand to the lathe for a maximum of about ten minutes, but I have a nice high stool next to it and do my tool grinding and honing and other things like changing chuck jaws or marking centers sitting down. I had to give up making musical instruments and other forms of wood working as I had to be on my feet too much, but the lathe is a blessing with infinite ways to innovate.

Pardon the personal bits, but the thoughts came to me as I read the thread and realized how much wood turning means to me. It is a craft and an art, and one that one can continue as long as one has one good hand and a bit of determination and inventiveness.

Best, Jon

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Jon,

Your story is very inspirational. Thank you for for posting it.

One niche of wood turning I’ve adopted is ornamental turning. It is one which would probably be easier on you as you can sit whilst the machine does the cutting you are directing.

Kind regards,
Rich

Back