1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

shoe bibs

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by odie, Jun 21, 2018.

1. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    This time of year, many of us turners wear shorts in the shop to stay cool. The problem with that is the chips get lodged in your socks and shoes......making it darn near impossible to keep from transporting chips into your home. I've been wearing these "shoe bibs" for the past few years, and they work very well for the purpose. They are easy on, and easy off with a velcro tab in the back. :D

-----odie-----
    IMG_3850 (2).JPG

James Seyfried and Lamar Wright like this.
  2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    I know several turners who wear them.
    I don’t wear socks most of the year so no chips in them.

odie likes this.
  3. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    I have some of those Odie. I hardly ever wear them but for some reason the shavings in my socks really got to me lately so I started wearing them. They work wonderfully. On smaller projects I just forget and my shoes are already covered before I remember I have those things.

odie likes this.
  4. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Location (City & State):
    Jasper, Alabama
    Great idea Odie, I wear shorts most of the time in Summer months. My wife sews a lot an I'll get her to make me a pair of these. :D

odie likes this.
  5. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    I wear boots in the shop almost always so not a problem. Yes I have dropped stuff on my foot and even tho not steel toe I feel safer.The temptation to "catch " a falling gouge with the foot is hard to resist sometimes.

hughie likes this.
  6. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    High top shoes and long pants in the shop.

Dan Hall likes this.
  7. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
    I have been wearing flip flops. In summer I seldom wear real shoes anyway, even out doing farm chores.

hughie and hockenbery like this.
  8. Vicki Hayden

Vicki Hayden

Location (City & State):
    Cambridge, Maryland
    I like them. Where do you get them? I googled them and Amazon doesn't have them anymore. Thanks

9. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Lakeland, Florida
    Home Page:
    These are one of Paula Nicks products. She is a Florida woodturner and a great woodmizer Lumber sawyer.
    She is a nice person to deal with. This is her web site
    http://www.dustbeegone.com/shoecovers.html

Fadi Zeidan likes this.
  10. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    I'm pretty sure I got mine at Woodcraft, but not available now.

Another option might to get some baby bibs and use them for the same purpose. These come in a 2-pack at Walmart for $8.......but, I've never tried them. It looks like they might work.....

click:
    https://express.google.com/u/0/product/3155055449336301387_17165810967271255532_8175035

[​IMG]

11. Vicki Hayden

Vicki Hayden

Location (City & State):
    Cambridge, Maryland

Thank you!

You can get them here too, I found. thesandingglove.com/default.asp

12. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    odie, would you get the baby bibs with the duckies or the teddy bears?:rolleyes:

13. Ely Walton

Ely Walton

Location (City & State):
    Troutman, North Carolina
    I wear Teva sandals almost exclusively in summertime (except Sunday morning!). BUT, they freak me out in the shop... the thought of some sharp or heavy object hitting my unprotected toes is scary! So it is always at least tennis shoes when turning!

Ely :D

14. john lucas

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Ely I always wear tennis shoes in the shop except during the winter. About 20 years ago or so I dropped a skew and it landed point first in the arch of my foot. I literally had to pluck it out. Hurt like you know what. Didn't cure me, I still wear tennis shoes and now my skews are actually sharper so I guess I better not drop another one. Oh that reminds me. I had one fall off the lathe bed from vibration. It landed on the input line to the lathe and shorted out the wires. What are the odds of that happening.

15. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Ha,ha......well, if I just HAD to make the choice......it would prolly be the duckies! :D

-----odie-----

16. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I wear boots with long pants, I can see those been really helpful to those of you that wear shorts...

17. john lucas

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    My friend in Kentucky who is an older ex hippie just goes barefoot. That stops all the shavings in shoe problem.

18. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    May be a bit off topic but follows John Lucas' post. Recently, the Little League World Series had a team from Africa. When they were given their uniforms, it is revealed they had never played in shoes! They played barefoot on dirt ball fields.

19. Zach LaPerriere

Zach LaPerriere

Location (City & State):
    Sitka, Alaska, United States
    Home Page:
    Cool! Never seen anything like that. I'm still wearing insulated coveralls here in Alaska, though a friend recently suggested I start wearing a muumuu while turning. :D

20. john lucas

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Ha Ha I doubt the younger generation even knows what a MuuMuu is. Mama Cass wore it well.

Zach LaPerriere likes this.
  21. Matthew Ferriter

Matthew Ferriter

Location (City & State):
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You can also keep all of your clothes clean by hanging them up outside your workshop before going in. Now that's REAL hippie!

22. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Shades of Woodstock!

23. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    TMI

24. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    OK @odie, I have you to thank for this fashion statement! :) Good thing I didn't go with the red ones.

Don't care much about my socks, but I was finding that shavings were getting caught in my shoe laces. Wouldn't mind if these were long enough to cover the toes of my shoes, but the toes clean off more easily.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  25. Jon Murphy

Jon Murphy

Location (City & State):
    Englishtown, NJ
    A bit late on the reply but I just happened on this thread. I haven't worn shorts for years - one of my legs can't get hot as it is made of metal and the other is very skinny from post polio syndrome. But as my shop is in my bedroom I'm not worried about bringing the wood chips into the house, they are already in it <g>. My shoes are Duluth Trading heavy leather "slip-ons" and they are winter boots and summer sneakers and dress shoes - changing the shoe on a prosthetic leg is a real project (the foot doesn't bend much).

Good thread, and I'd try the "shoe bibs" if it weren't quicker to hit my shoe toes with a quick suck from my shop vac that is next to my lathe before returning to the living room. BTW, the above is not a complaint - it is a boast and a statement that one does not have to give up the pleasures of wood working as one ages and loses some capabilities. I can stand to the lathe for a maximum of about ten minutes, but I have a nice high stool next to it and do my tool grinding and honing and other things like changing chuck jaws or marking centers sitting down. I had to give up making musical instruments and other forms of wood working as I had to be on my feet too much, but the lathe is a blessing with infinite ways to innovate.

Pardon the personal bits, but the thoughts came to me as I read the thread and realized how much wood turning means to me. It is a craft and an art, and one that one can continue as long as one has one good hand and a bit of determination and inventiveness.

Best, Jon

Mark Jundanian and Ron Grob like this.
  26. RichColvin

RichColvin

Location (City & State):
    Dublin, OH
    Home Page:
    Jon,

Your story is very inspirational. Thank you for for posting it.

One niche of wood turning I’ve adopted is ornamental turning. It is one which would probably be easier on you as you can sit whilst the machine does the cutting you are directing.

Kind regards,
    Rich