1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shaving Brushes, Etc.

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Aaron Harris, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Aaron Harris

Aaron Harris

Location (City & State):
    Spartanburg, Tennessee
    Hello, All-I'm a new guy here. I just started turning last summer after our planned trip to Japan to see our oldest son got canceled due to covid. All the refund money went to finance my new hobby.

I started with the simple desire to turn shaving brush handles to match the straight razors I was rescaling in exotic woods. I got the idea for the metal bands from making duck calls for my other son and his friends. I've included a few in desert ironwood and cocobolo, if I've done this right. I hope to learn and share a lot here.
    Herder 49 Razor and Brush Set.jpg
    Thanks for looking-Aaron

2. Russ Braun

Russ Braun

Location (City & State):
    Torrance, CA
    That blade makes me want to go get a shave instead of doing it myself!! Nice stuff Aaron!

Aaron Harris likes this.
  3. Aaron Harris

Aaron Harris

Location (City & State):
    Spartanburg, Tennessee
    Thanks, Russ-I snagged some fancy NOS (new old stock) Solingen Herder blades off ebay, and thought they deserved the fanciest scales and hardware I could muster. And because I do everything the hard way and backwards, I turned some early spindle projects in desert ironwood and lignum vitae, 2 of the hardest woods out there as I'm sure you know (but oh, so beautiful). So I had to set up and start getting proficient on my sharpening station very quickly, lol.

Now recently, in learning to turn bowls, I turned a green maple blank that was like butter-what a difference!