• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sharpening tips video

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I did another video. This one started as answering a question on how I sharpen my Thompson Detail gouge. Since I use the bowl gouge setting I thought I would discuss both. Then it occured to me that many people don't have a jig so I show how I sharpen the stewart Batty grind which is a good all around grind for bowl gouges.
discussion and tips on how to improve these things is always welcome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbggxj2kgyc

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm going to try and do one that is really a close up view of grinding and how to correct for bad grinds. It may take a week or so, this is a busy time of year at work. I'm also going to do one on cutting coves to go along with the article I wrote last year. I intended to do it much sooner but getting the proper equipment, programs, wire connectors, learning curve for editing and just plain time, took a lot longer than I wanted.

Back