• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Scorched turnings

Hello,
I am interested in scorching some of my work and am looking for some ways to do so. I have seen that some people use torches, but what are some other ways to scorch turnings and what are the pro's and con's. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

Website
www.regenbogenwoodturning.com
Scorched Stuff

Hey Jay,
I've found that using a mini-torch is good for the scale of work I do. Since I don't turn larger than 11 3/4" dia, my work is usually manageable from a size standpoint, and so I like the ability to control a fine, hot flame. I bought a mini-torch for like $25, and it's refillable. I guess it's usually used for soldering, but has good control. I've torched up a few different kinds of wood before coming to the conclusion that species such as ash, do better than something like maple. The hard and soft areas in the ash burn unequally, and thus make for more interesting results. After I torch the piece I like to go back over it with a (soft) wire brush, which really makes the grain pop and surprisingly doesn't remove the scorching if you keep a light touch. I finish with a spray lacquer.

I hope that helps some...try a bunch of stuff....that's always the most fun.

Scott

Thanks Scott,
Based on the limited replies I received, I guess a torch is my best bet, but I will continue to try some different things. Thanks for your help.
Take care,
Jay

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I am a big fan of burning, as Scott infers, different woods will yield different results. I use a good ol propane torch. If you want to experiment, paint certain areas with lemon juice concentrate or lacquer, then torch. You can start to get finer lines in the burns with some practice.

I watched Nick Cook scorch a platter one day. He used a propane torch, and then used a little water and a Scotchbrite pad to work it over. If I remember correctly he used Maple.. (I could be wrong though).

Turned out pretty nice I thought.

Website
www.regenbogenwoodturning.com
Hey Steve and Underdog,
You guys sound like you have some good experience in this, and I like the idea of trying different things on the wood to achieve different results. I really like this website because you get to hear from people with different experiences and that's how you learn. I really hope I didn't come off as sounding like some authority, because I'm totally not. I just like trying stuff, and hey...mixing wood and fire...great concept.

I scorched/burnt an oak platter using a propane torch. I did it outside and kept a wet rag handy to put out occasional fires that started on the platter. When I thought I was done, I wire brushed the platter and went back inside to finish turning the platter.

I have several soldering irons in a variety of sizes (both in terms of physical size and wattage) that I like to use when burning rims of bowls. I also like the smaller irons for burning rings into the outer surfaces of my turnings. I realize that a piece of wire can be used for these purposes but the wire is somewhat confining in that it can only burn the wood where it is held for an extended period of time and the width of the charred surface depends entirely on the width of the wire. I find that I can grind (I use a sander) the tip of the soldering iron so whatever width I like and that its heat output remains constant enough to allow me better control for some burning activities. Using a large iron held against the rim of a bowl creates a nice even scorch line that, IMHO, is appealing.

Nick's wood

I watched Nick Cook scorch a platter one day. He used a propane torch, and then used a little water and a Scotchbrite pad to work it over. If I remember correctly he used Maple.. (I could be wrong though).

Turned out pretty nice I thought.

I have seen Nick and others use Ash very successfully for this purpose. Ash has wide grain and lends itself well to pyography. Also, try lightly sanding in selective areas after burning and removing the char with a very soft brush.

Don

A couple of suggestions of what NOT to do.

1. Lighting a fire in or on the item. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
2. Attempting to "smoke" a design in to the item. Again islagiatt.
3. Baking an item to enhance its patina. Again islagiatt.

Torches big and small will generally give you the most control.

BTW: I rarely do any torching of items any more. It seems like the best idea for now.:D

Joe

Carve then Scorch

A really nice combination is carving in lines and then tourching over the top of them. For the most part the heat does not go into the cut grooves enough to blacken them so it can allow some nice contrasts. If you really want to be brave add dye to the carved grooves and have some wonderful contrasts in color. A high gloss finish will really allow the colors to stand out.
Joe

Last edited:
Back