• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Saving bloxygen

Like most of us I've been plagued with the problem of retaining finishes while saving on the rather expensive Bloxygen. My "go to" finish is Waterlox, although I also mix my own for some projects. All are susceptible to the oxygenation problem. Some time ago I started pouring off some finish into smaller containers but even they use a lot of Bloxygen. I used pebbles to raise the finish to the top and reduce the surface area, but still had a problem.

The solution is a baster, that big "syringe" that one uses to baste the Thanksgiving turkey. Bloxygen being heavier than air means that it also pours out of the main container when you pour out the finish into a smaller container. If you keep the container vertical by using the baster to extract the finish you lose little Bloxygen and only need to give the container a small blast when re-sealing it.

But I still had a problem. My "small containers" are 2 oz. glass bottles I get at Michael's Crafts. They are straight tubes (no neck) with a hinged glass top and a good seal (although I replace their seals with rubber O-rings as they don't bend out of shape from reaction with the finish). I still found myself getting that gum layer from oxygenation now and then. I had been pouring off just the needed amount into one those 1 oz plastic dose cups that come with every liquid OTC medicine. But I was still also pouring off Bloxygen. I went to dipping my rag in the 2 oz bottle while holding it vertical.

I realized that when I dipped my rag into the little bottle I was also pushing out the Bloxygen and allowing oxygen in. Back to the baster, and the solution that has worked for me for some time now.

Transfer a supply of finish from the main container to your mini-container with the baster. Give the main container a small blast of Bloxygen (unless it is the first time, a bit more then) and seal it. Give your mini-container a small blast "o' the stuff", and seal it. Use a disposable 1 oz dose cup (I don't dispose of them) when you use the finish, loading it from the mini-container with the baster. Now you can dip your rag or whatever without wasting Bloxygen. Fill as many dose cups as you will need for the next few hours, the finish will last that long in the open air.

The theme of this long diatribe is the saving of Bloxygen, and therefore the expense of that fine finish saver. (I have tried alternatives I've seen on forums, they aren't cheap and they don't work for me). Keep the main container vertical by using the baster (or you could make a siphon, but that is too much work). Do the same with the smaller secondary container, taking only what you need for the next few hours and putting it in whatever is convenient for you. That practice will allow you to keep your finish with minimal waste of Bloxygen. Bloxygen "stays in the bottle" as long as it is vertical, argon is heavier than air. When you pour from the bottle (whether the big bottle or the little one) the argon also pours out.

Best, Jon

I gave up on Boxygen a few months ago when I discovered StopLoss Bags. They don't work for lacquer but for oil, water and alcohol based finishes, they work great. considering the cost of a quart of finish they are cheap and reusable.

I looked at the video in your link and can see that the StopLoss bags are effective for some applications, but not all. I have a bottle of pure Tung oil that is "squeezable", like the StopLoss bags, I don't have to use my Bloxygen on it. But the finishes that tend to emulsify with oxygen and are in large cans would require a lot of StopLoss bags to hold them.

You offer a good alternative solution to the solutions <g> - but it won't apply to all. I'm down to near the bottom of my quart of Waterlox (it has taken me two years to use that much) and I've only had to give it a quick blast of Bloxygen - and that was probably unnecessary - each time I drew from it with the big syringe to refill my 2 oz. container, which is seldom. Now that I draw from the small container with a big "medicine dropper" and reseal it it needs only a little blast of the Bloxygen, and only as I don't keep a record of the last little blast. I remove enough for the job, and if there is some left I throw it away.

The Bloxygen is only valid for finishes that emulsify, i.e. create a gel, in the presence of oxygen. That does not apply to all finishes.

Most people use way more Bloxygen than required. Even with a gallon can of finish that is half full, all that is required is a short blast, maybe 1 second. The entire void does not have to be filled with Bloxygen. It is heavier than air so it settles down next to the finish. It doesn't matter that there is air up above it. You just need a thin layer to separate the finish from the air.

Most people use way more Bloxygen than required. Even with a gallon can of finish that is half full, all that is required is a short blast, maybe 1 second. The entire void does not have to be filled with Bloxygen. It is heavier than air so it settles down next to the finish. It doesn't matter that there is air up above it. You just need a thin layer to separate the finish from the air.
That's what I have always thought. I haven't used it much but that's how I approached it

Don, I agree that Bloxygen is heavier than air and will (initially) settle down next to the surface of the finish. However, with time, Bloxygen will mix with any air remaining in the container allowing oxygen to reach the finish.

The Frequently Asked Questions section of the Bloxygen website says:

HOW DO YOU USE IT?
-- First, ALWAYS wear Safety Glasses.
  1. Twist the extension tube into the spray tip.
  2. Hold lid closely above container and spray towards side of the container to avoid any splash.
  3. Spray 2 full seconds for quarts and 4 full seconds for gallons.*
  4. Close lid immediately to seal in heavy gas.
*We recommend 2 seconds for quarts and 4 seconds for gallons assuming that they are half full. Our "rule of thumb" is to spray enough argon gas into the container to fill the head space twice. So you'll need less gas if the container is nearly full and more if it is nearly empty.​

Dave

For me I use a similar product from Lee Valley with my Tung oil but I will buy a litre of it and them pour it into a number of smaller glass containers.Then I will give it a short spray and seal them.I have used the same batch of Tung oil stored for well over a year with this method.

Back