1. Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding Discs

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by William Rogers, Dec 14, 2019.

1. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    I have primary used 2” disc, but going to get a set of 3”. I have been happy with Vines’s Blue Flex and 2Sand White Rhyno. I’ve been looking at Vince’s Platinum and Klingspor Latex backed disc. Any experience with these or other disc to consider?

2. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    It has been a while since I experimented with anything other than Vince's blue discs. I haven't found anything else to be a comparable value. The blue cut longer and faster than any other disc I have tried, so I get more for my money.

robo hippy

3. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    I use 3 inch disks, but for finger tip sanding, rather than a disk sander. I really like the "Abranet" style products for this.

4. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    My only concern for any discs, aside from durability, including Vince's blue flex, is that they each should be clearly labeled with the grit #.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Mike Adams and odie like this.
  5. Mark Jundanian

Mark Jundanian

Location (City & State):
    La Grange, IL
    I write the number on the back of the disk, but that's an annoying problem with abrasive paper in any form. I just bought some rolls and the first package was cut from a section of stock with no grit markings at all (I wrote the grit number on the inside of the cardboard spool).

Mike Adams likes this.
  6. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Location (City & State):
    Evanston, IL USA
    ...Annoying and time consuming

Mike Adams and Mark Jundanian like this.
  7. Greg Norman

Greg Norman

Location (City & State):
    Germantown, NC
  8. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I have the penturner's set of sandpaper rolls. I tear off a piece to finish pen blanks and write the grit with a Sharpie.

9. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Maui, Hawaii
    Home Page:
    I also recommend the blue discs from Vince.

10. Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Location (City & State):
    Bloomfield, New Jersey
    And it eats away at sharpie tips

11. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    Let's face it.....there is no magic in sanding discs. The ONLY purpose is to remove wood at a particular grit grade......nothing more, nothing less! :D

I started out using the Merit power-lock discs back in the early 1980's, and I'm still using them as my primary sanding discs today.....because they work, and they work very well. I have tried a few other brands of discs, but I just can't see any real advantage......you can pay more, and not get as good performance.....or, you can just pay more! A long time ago, I can remember hearing the Merit discs are too aggressive......but, it's like having a big engine in your car......use it when you need to, but you don't have to "pedal to the metal" all the time!.....learn to back off a little!

Many of my bowls have undercut rims, and the flex-edge discs have been a very useful boon to sanding in these areas.......For this, I have a cut down mandrel that only holds the flex disc in the center. That disc is capable of flexing almost completely around on itself.....it's incredible, really! :eek:

One of the biggest drawbacks to sanding is learning when to toss the paper, or disc you are using.....and replace it with fresh paper/disc. This was a tough one for me, but when I finally got it through my thick skull to toss it out (even though, technically, it would still cut), my sanding procedures were immediately, and immensely improved with better surfaces, ready to apply a finish.....and with much, much, much less overall sanding time! Having said that, it is imperative to understand that sanding will never replace good tool work.......it's just like applying the finish.....it's all about "surface preparation" prior to your starting the procedure at hand......it sure makes things much easier that way! :)

(If you can regularly start your sanding at 240 grit, and sometimes at 320, and occasionally at 400 grit.......then, YOU have arrived! :D)

-----odie-----

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  12. Ken Appelt

Ken Appelt

Location (City & State):
    Shelby, MI
    Made a cup shape sanding disc to smooth surface of spheres,,,,,homemade, works fine,,, odie, I probably replace my paper/disc sooner that you do, but hey, whatever works.

13. odie

odie

Location (City & State):
    Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
    I'd be interested in hearing a little more about your "cup shaped discs", Ken.......:D

Photos would be nice......;)

-----odie-----

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  14. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    odie's post reminds me of the saying- Use sandpaper like someone else is buying it. I have to watch my self and not use the sandpaper- Just one more touch.

Charles Cadenhead and odie like this.
  15. Russ Braun

Russ Braun

Location (City & State):
    Torrance, CA
    I needed some new sanding accessories. Woodturners Wonders had this set and a picture of a set up like this. I always felt I wasted too much paper, even marked with a Sharpie. This made sense, paper stays on the Reloc foam disc holder, holder is interchangeable on the mandrel. It looks good; I will see how the longevity factor is.

Attached Files:

16. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    I have the set . Been using kinda heavy for me for over a year and holding up well. They will get the job done with soft and firm pads makes it a great option for sanding. I have a hex setup so I got the extra set of mandrels for deeper sanding , eventually you will need them. The only complaint I could have is that the shortest one is not quite as short as I wanted so I cut one off and made a bead on it.

17. Russ Braun

Russ Braun

Location (City & State):
    Torrance, CA
    I found the soft pads worked well without the mandrel, just hand holding them. Way easier to grip than just paper alone!