• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safety issue with wood?

I'm still a novice or beginner with wood turning. I have built a bunch of pens but looking to take my skills up a notch. Our AAW chapter has a "Bring Back Box" which is given to a member by drawing their name. I got it. The box is about 6x6x6. We are to turn something that fits in the box and can have something from the demo. I got a piece balanced by trimming it on the bandsaw. Mounted it and started turning. My first time turning something like a "log." The grain is beautiful, seems to be spalted. However, there is a crack that runs about 2/3 the way of the piece. Fill it with lots of CA glue? Keep turning and eliminate the part that is past the crack? Don't want to have it fly off the lathe. That might ruin my whole day. Posting photos for you- shows crack and grain. Not sure what species it is. Thanks for reading and your help.20190208_141808.jpg 20190208_141814.jpg

Last edited:
Tried to delete it but couldn't figure how to do it. My bad.
Edit- Deleted the one link. Maybe that will do the job.
BTW, got some nice pen blanks out of the piece. Put another piece on the lathe and will be posting a photo and a question on it tomorrow.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Apparently I missed the duplicate.

The pictures are a little confusing about the grain orientation with respect to how you have it mounted, but it is very clear that it is a crappy piece of wood that shouldn't be turned. Life is short enough -- don't make it shorter by turning crappy wood.

Grain is perpendicular to the bed. Headstock and tailstock are in the bark. Will try turning a piece before committing to a pen tube so I don't waste a tube.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It looks like the pith would be running right through the side of the piece (bowl or box). If it were me and the wood didn't have all those cracks, as a first step, I would cut the pith out of it. :rolleyes:

Bill, already made into pen blanks. Cute comment but don't quit your day job. :) Got a piece of what I think is dogwood. Can tell by its bark. Just need to figure out what to do next.

Back