• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Russell Vance

Well, I recently found this site by watching some notable wood turners on Youtube, so I thought I might as well see what I can learn.

I started turning in about 1965 or so on an old Craftsman wood lathe that my maternal grandpa passed down to me. My lathe tools were mostly old files that Grandpa ground into some semblance of a lathe tool. Actually, I don't remember ever using a store-bought tool now that I think about it. All I did was spindle turning. I made a bunch of toothpick holders, some ash trays and a couple really ugly candle sticks, which I believe I used to feed the old wood stove in Grandpa's shop. The bearings, bushings actually, finally got so worn out on the old lathe, I kind of lost interest. That and I turned my interest to girls instead, I suppose. Anyway, I took a rather long hiatus from wood turning.

Then a few years ago, I saw an ad for a Shopsmith on Craigslist. The price didn't seem too bad, so one of my grandsons and I took a road trip to Wisconsin and brought it home. It was missing the spur drive and had no live center, only the cup center was there. The guy who had it used the disc sander some but mainly used it for horizontal boring. There were some old, cheap lathe tools with it that he threw in. For a while I mainly used the table saw and sander, but I finally got the itch to turn again. I bought a spur drive, a live center, then a scroll chuck with an adapter for the Shopsmith. I also added a Wen, slow speed grinder, and a precision sharpening system from Peachtree Woodworking, along with a Benjamin's Best 1/2" bowl gouge from the same place. I made a couple bowls, a small box or two, and a bunch of tops for the grandkids (7 of them). Much like the old Craftsman, though, the Shopsmith with it's single bearing quill, was a challenge to turn on, unless of course, you enjoy sanding. Me...not so much.

So today, I picked up my new Rikon 70-220 midi lathe. I build an extension on the side of my mobile work bench, and when I pick up the casters, I have a darn solid setup that I can tuck into the corner of the garage and still be able to turn wood! I know there are better, more expensive lathes out there, but compared to what I've had before, this thing is the bee's knees! It is smooth, quiet, and just a joy to use.

That's my turning experience so far. I'm a retired English teacher, and former law enforcement officer...surprisingly similar professions, lol! My wife has tolerated me for over 48 years, so she undoubtedly qualifies for sainthood! We have two sons and one daughter, three granddaughters, and four grandsons. My eldest son is a social studies teacher. My daughter, the middle child, is a counselor at a group home and is working on her master's in social work. My youngest son is a manufacturing engineer for Indian Motorcycles.

Other than woodturning, my hobbies include hunting, particularly bow hunting, fishing, and just about anything DIY.

Welcome to the forum. As suggested, look for a local club.

Thanks for the welcome. I checked for clubs in Iowa. The closest is about two hours away, so I will have to rely on YouTube and this forum for whatever I need to figure out. A four hour round trip for a club meeting just isn't practical, especially with gas prices climbing everyday. I think I'll spend the money on better tools instead. ;)

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Russell, a lot of clubs are doing meetings via Zoom.
There's usually a demonstration of techniques, and while it's not the same as being there in person, you do get a "front row" seat every time. And it's a lot closer than that 4-hour drive.
Most clubs are also trying to fit in some online social time and opportunities for things like show-and-tell, shop tours, Q&A, etc.
And they'd most likely let you be a guest for a meeting or two, to see if it works for you.
So might be worth contacting some of those clubs to see what they have to offer.

We do Zoom with my mother-in-law, who is in a nursing home, and I find Zoom far less than impressive. I guess it may be better than nothing, but with the number of well made videos available online, I just don't see the need. I'm finding that the best way to improve as a turner is to make lots of chips and curls. The more I do, it seems, the better what is left seems to look. The downside to video, be it Zoom or YouTube, is the fact that it is two dimensional and your perspective is further limited by one or two camera angles. Even watching great turners, is still just watching. When you find that perfect angle, with the flute open just so, the bevel riding along nicely, and those lovely curls of wood piling up at your feet, the wood just seems to melt away as if by magic. Watching someone else do that is nice. Feeling it for yourself is what makes wood turning so addictive.

Russell there are lots of clubs doing Zoom and the production is at or near the level of Youtube videos. We use three cameras for ours. Several clubs also plan to continue Zoom of live meetings when that starts again. Also some clubs give discount for online only membership. I can check and give you a couple if you are interested. We are in MS and have one member in Montana watching our demos.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The advantage of the Zoom meetings over watching YouTube is that the Zoom meetings are interactive so that you can ask questions. The disadvantage of YouTube is that there are more bad than good videos and a beginner wouldn't necessarily have the ability to discern the difference.

Back