• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rubber Chucky Sphere Turner?

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Have something similar. It’s blue soft plastic. I’m not a fan. Used it several times, now it sits in a drawer. I’ll have to dig it out and give it another whirl. I’ll post the results. In the meantime, Check out Ernie Conover’s YouTube video for his version of wooden jamb chucks for turning spheres

I am familiar with the Conover video, Craft Supplies has an excellent one as well. I am not trying to learn how to make spheres. I am just curious if anyone has used the Rubber Chucky device.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't have first hand experience either. I have read that it is excellent. I make my own out of wood but I purchased a nylon rod big enough to make some better sphere turners and just haven't had time to make it yet. The rod I bought came just a short time before I moved and so it got packed away. I just found it the other day so really need to take the time to make some sphere turning cup centers.

I don't have first hand experience either. I have read that it is excellent. I make my own out of wood but I purchased a nylon rod big enough to make some better sphere turners and just haven't had time to make it yet. The rod I bought came just a short time before I moved and so it got packed away. I just found it the other day so really need to take the time to make some sphere turning cup centers.
Thanks John, but I am not talking about the cup centers, which are good. I am talking about the milled aluminum drive centers the hold a wooden cube to be turned.

Tom, if I get it right, you are referring to these originals.

https://drechsler-wissen.de/produkt/spannvorrichtung-zum-kugeldrechseln-im-set-74-mm-grosses-set/

I haven't tried any of the two, but I own several other tools from mr. Häckel and they are all *very* high quality.

(Short English text a bit down the page)
No, I am referring to the Rubber Chucky aluminum knock off of the German tool. Seen here: https://www.rubberchucky.com/store/p145/Easy_Turn_Chucky_(turn_Spheres_and_More).html#/
The German tool has two facets cut for each end, and according to Tim Yoder in his Youtube review, one of the two facets has a slight curve inside. The Chucky version has four facets each end and no curves.

Back