1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Roughing Gouges

Discussion in 'Marketplace Archives' started by Brian Longshore, May 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Longshore

Brian Longshore

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, Florida
    Home Page:
    Hello, fellow AAW members,

Before I spend money on a couple of new ones I wanted to see if anyone has one or a couple of extra and wouldn't mind downsizing their collection first. I am looking for 1 1/4' and larger please. I would love to have one of those monster 2" inch spindle gouge ones as well for a fair price of course. I can send a check/money order and I use paypal as well. Thanks for looking. Big B

2. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    Look on ebay , that is where I got my Sorby. There is a 3/4 Crown for 47. Also a Sorby 1 1/4 at 90 and more

3. Brian Longshore

Brian Longshore

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, Florida
    Home Page:
    Gerald,

Yes, that is the plan if no one here has any they want to part with. FIgured I would ask here before buying new.

4. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn Artist & Chef

Location (City & State):
    Houma, Louisiana
    Brian, I'll check when I get home about 6:00 this evening. If I find that I do, I'll PM a photo, etc.

Brian Longshore likes this.
  5. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    Brian, Unless you are turning large architectural pieces such as large porch columns then a 1¼" SRG or skew would be the largest that you most likely would ever need. I have ½", 1" 1¼, and 1⅜" skews. The skew that I use the most is the 1" closely followed by the ½". I use the 1¼" occasionally, but only very rarely use the 1⅜".

Brian Longshore likes this.
  6. Brian Longshore

Brian Longshore

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, Florida
    Home Page:
    Thanks Mark.

7. Brian Longshore

Brian Longshore

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, Florida
    Home Page:
    Thanks, Bill. I turn a good bit of heavy logs and so I want at least a 1 1/4" roughing gouge because they can be very hard on my 7/8" gouge. Plus I only have one roughing gouge and am ready to add another one or two to my arsenal.

8. taxman

taxman

Location (City & State):
    Cooper City FL (near Ft Lauderdale)
    Home Page:
    Hi Brian,
    I have an extra Sorby I would like to part with. Will PM Details.

9. Jeff Courtman

Jeff Courtman

Location (City & State):
    Wylie, TX
    Hey, Brian - late to the party, but...have you thought about using a 5/8" bowl gouge? There's no reason not to use a bowl gouge for this kind of work, especially because they have so much metal in section...I've used mine on large spindle work (for roughing green) and I like the beefiness of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.