• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

rotary xy table

What happens if you put a rotating xy table in your tail stock instead of moving the centers like Barbara Dill you move it on the xy table and then you rotate it with the rotary table?

Thanks,

Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I sort of did that years ago. I made faceplates for the headstock and tailstock that had Dovetails cut in them. I then made a dovetail pin that slid in them. It had 2 slots cut in it. I could slide about 2" and be locked down. I had added a pin than held the wood. The tailstock end was attached to my live center so it rotated freely. Worked well. Don't know what I did with those, haven't seen them in years. May have to rejuvinate that idea.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yes I turned a disc that had a dovetail in the middle. Then put a long sliding dovetail in the slot. It only went one direction however. I had thought about trying to rig up a jig kind of like those sliding dovetail toys that don't do anything. It just has 2 dovetails 90 degrees to each other and 2 short dovetails that slide in them. Then it has a crank arm attached to these and it rotates in a circle moving them up and down in the slot. I couldn't figure out how to lock them in position or be beefy enough to hold anything firlmy.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
What happens if you put a rotating xy table in your tail stock instead of moving the centers like Barbara Dill you move it on the xy table and then you rotate it with the rotary table?

Thanks,

Ed

Hello Ed.......

A picture, or illustration would be worth a thousand words!

What would be your ultimate purpose in this set-up?

Just mentally visualizing a rotary table and xy table mated together, and attached to the T/S Morse Taper, seems like a rather bulky and heavy jig. Of course, it would all be worth it, if the same results could not be had with a less complicated method........:D

JL's idea about dovetailed slots in a faceplate would be less complicated......but, there would not be the preciseness, or ease of adjustment as with the rotary table and xy table......:( I'm making an assumption that the quick and easy precision adjustment capabilities are the whole idea behind using the xy and rotary tables in the first place........?........:confused:

ooc

do-nothing

Yes I turned a disc that had a dovetail in the middle. Then put a long sliding dovetail in the slot. It only went one direction however. I had thought about trying to rig up a jig kind of like those sliding dovetail toys that don't do anything. It just has 2 dovetails 90 degrees to each other and 2 short dovetails that slide in them. Then it has a crank arm attached to these and it rotates in a circle moving them up and down in the slot. I couldn't figure out how to lock them in position or be beefy enough to hold anything firlmy.

John,

I haven't thought about a do-nothing in years. Would seem easy to make a strong one if you found a very cheap or junk four jaw chuck. Two jaws and remove or grind away whatever drove the jaws. That and provide clearance for a set screw and you should be in business by just attaching a centerpoint or a threaded section for a chuck to the section tying the old jaws together. Some of the four jaw independent chucks are pretty cheap brand new, and asking around on a forum or two might turn up one for not much more than shipping. I don't remember what it went to, maybe my Craftsman lathe but there was one available a few years back for thirty or forty dollars. If you don't need a large one Taig might have some ideas. I think the guy's name is Chris, haven't talked to him in four or five years.

Hu

Hu

Back