• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rob Gilmore

Hello all. I've been an amateur woodworker since working with my father as a child and have always dabbled in trying to fix or improve on any wooden item. However, I'm a complete novice to turning. I've recently purchased a 2nd hand Laguna Revo 1836, have it setup and tuned, and have a rag-tag collection of tools that came with it including a Nova chuck. Have just upgraded my chainsaw and spent the last 2 late afternoons cutting up some downed oak, black cherry, catalpa, and maple at a friend's home. Just finished Arborsealing the ends and stacking it today. Now have to get busy and learn how to turn! Luckily I'm retiring in 3 months so should have more time for practice. I look forward to leaning on all your experience.

Welcome. Great bunch of people here who are willing to share their knowledge and expertise. BTW, I have one of the Kodak Brownie cameras and flash.

Thanks Bill and John. Glad to be here and will have questions. One of my other hobbies is photography hence the cameras. I actually have a nice working Brownie (will take 120 film) with flash that I'll bring to family gatherings to blind people with. Reminds me of the old days when people were used to those flashes - now, not so much. The young kids come over asking to look at the back of the camera to "see" the photo.

Thanks Bill and John. Glad to be here and will have questions. One of my other hobbies is photography hence the cameras. I actually have a nice working Brownie (will take 120 film) with flash that I'll bring to family gatherings to blind people with. Reminds me of the old days when people were used to those flashes - now, not so much. The young kids come over asking to look at the back of the camera to "see" the photo.
Wait until they want to download it to a computer.

I too have my parents Duaflex IV and hundreds of photos taken with it.
I can picture my mother doing a quick tongue lick on the flashbulb before putting it in the flashgun. Of course I later learned how short-term and counterproductive that practice was. As camera repairmen we could always tell who the "lickers" were. Was a tough sell to break them of the habit.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome Rob. As a retired photographer I like your cameras. I donated 120 antique cameras to our local museum when I retired.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Gerald, this model was my first camera that my parents let me use as a kid and I still have some of the shots I took with it. I get my bulbs (don't use too many) off eBay - just buy a small lot, maybe 12 or so. Here's a great site about the Brownie Hawkeye - http://kurtmunger.com/kodak_brownie_hawkeyeid149.html
Tom, I have never heard of the tongue lick method - curious.
Kirk, my young adult son is looking for an apartment out your way. He's been with us since before the pandemic hit and it's time to move back out (for everyone's sanity).

Many had problems with the flash not firing for one reason or another. Wetting the bulb contact with a little spit was believed by some to improve the contact. Of course it just promoted corrosion and made the problem worse.

Back