1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Rikon 18" bandsaw 10-347

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Bill T Tucker, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Bill T Tucker

Bill T Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Nashville, TN
    Thinking about upgrading my old trusty 14" band saw and have been reading about the Rikon 10-347...4 horse and 19" re-saw. Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with this saw or knows of anyone who has used it. What do you/they think about it and what have you heard?
    Thanks

2. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    I googled it and it looks like the basic machine was made in the same Chinese factory as my 18" Delta band saw. The only real difference that I could see was the increased height and it looks like it has a rack and pinion for the table tilt. There may be improvements in some of the details that would only be evident with a comparison between the various brands that are based on the basic Chinese design.

3. Bill T Tucker

Bill T Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks Don...by the way, how long have you had your Jet 18" and how do you like it?

4. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson

Location (City & State):
    Eads, TN
    Home Page:
    Not sure of the differences other than size but I bought the Rikon 10-326 (14") earlier this year and really like it. The tool free bearing guides are nice and the rack and pinion table is very handy. The fence has a very nice feature for squaring it up to the blade that I didn't appreciate until I used it. No complaints so far. If you're gonna be in the bowl business you gotta have a big mean bandsaw. I have ruined a couple of green wood blades on mine but my own fault really. The thumb knobs to tighten the bearing guides need to be really tight, especially the thrust bearing. I just snugged mine up and it slipped, blade went too far in and side bearings flattened all the teeth. Other time I started it with blade not tensioned and blade got messed up enough to call it done.

5. Don Wattenhofer

Don Wattenhofer

Location (City & State):
    Ponsford, MN
    I have had my Delta 18" band saw for about 5 years and it was used when I got it so I don't know haw old the machine is.

6. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Penrose, NC
    I have had the Rikon 10-347 for about a year. Love it. Great power, features and fit and finish. I chose it over a Laguna because I saw no difference ( other than a great customer service record for RIKON, and a well....very spotty one for Laguna...) RIKON built their factory in China, and they have RIKON employees there as QC folks. As a comparison - Laguna has parts built in China by various contracts. Those are sent to Italy, and assembled, and sold as "Italian" saws.:D I think the 10-347 is the best value available. 4hp, 19" - and fantastic bearing guides....

Coincidentally...I sold a Jet 18" before I bought the RIKON

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  7. Bill T Tucker

Bill T Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks. Kinda looks too good to be true for the $$, keep waiting for the bad shoe to fall :confused:

8. Rob Fridenberg

Rob Fridenberg

Location (City & State):
    Novi, Michigan
    All of these imports share many of the same parts - how else could they be priced as low as they are?? This Rikon looks like it shares many parts with my Laguna 18BX. Looks like a great saw!

Years ago, I was calling a Crazy Benzys store (a Harbor Freight type store - before there was HF) and asked what brand of air tools they sold. Their response was - it doesn't matter. If you buy enough of them they will put your name on them!!

Still makes me laugh almost 40 years later and is still true today.

9. Timothy White

Timothy White

Location (City & State):
    McKinney,Texas
    Rob. Is that a GT40 in your avatar?

10. Rob Fridenberg

Rob Fridenberg

Location (City & State):
    Novi, Michigan
    I recall that it was a Porsche 917 in the Gulf "livery" (as they say!), which was also used on the Ford GT40. One of my favorite color combos!

I once had a 2006 Ford GT for a weekend (I used to work in the Ford Performance group) in the Gulf livery that people absolutely lost their minds over when seeing this car on the road! Stunning. Sorry - my heart is starting to race again.....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Timothy White and Tim Tucker like this.
  11. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Location (City & State):
    Penrose, NC
    After a year of pretty frequent use cutting a lot of large blanks and piping a considerable amount of lumber - I would say that the shoe has dropped. And it landed solidly on - "buy another RIKON" maybe even bigger next time:D

12. Anthony Yakonick

Anthony Yakonick

Location (City & State):
    Collegeville, PA
    I have an 18" Rikon I bought in 05, I have to replace guide bearings now and then. My kids will sell it