• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Resin Casting

I would like to try resin casting with pressure pot.I need some help on proper resin to choose along with any tips about procedure.Any how to books or articles would be helpful. Thanks, Jerry

You give very few details. Different resins if you want to cast objects in the resin or just fill voids. Polyester resin shrinks, but plays better with things cast in it than Alumilite. Polyester resin is more brittle than Alumilite. This has been going on for years, days worth of information on youtube and forums.

If you submerse wood in resin (I use Alumilite). Be absolutely sure the wood is dry. Alumilite and water do not go well together. The resin will bubble beyond belief and when you turn it the result will be incredibly pitted.

Last edited:
Back