• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Renewal SCAM?

Today, someone named "Monica" called AAW member Charlie W. in Georgia asking him to renew his subscription to the woodturners' magazine, half price per issue. When Charlie asked Monica to send information by mail, she immediately hung up.

It's possible "Monica" could have gotten his name from the magazine itself when it was in the postal system. Or it's possible that the problem is more widespread (although the AAW does carefully protect membership lists).

Has anyone else received a phone call like this? Charlie is obviously a smart man, he asked for more information and didn't give his credit card number. We all know not to do that, but since she knew his name and that he subscribes to American Woodturner, he initially thought Monica was simply a rude employee of the AAW, so he called to report her.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Ask Charlie if he has donated or sold any of his magazines and if so did he cut off any shipping information of his. I've heard of people getting billed for multiple subscriptions and subscription addresses being change. Usually the victim had donated their mags to doctor offices and such or sold them on eBay.

Betty, I think you should fire "Monica" immediately! If you agree, I will let her know she's been fired if she calls me. :)

Its those darned inturns, they're nothing but trouble (at least where I work). :)

Just a thought did Charlie post his AAW no on this site as i see some do including yourselfe Thomas it may be she and others are joining for their own reasons of greed

Just a note to let AAW members know to be suspicious when receiving a solicitation for AAW membership from individuals or companies other than a direct contact from the AAW office in Saint Paul.

In addition to the above, Jane received a call last week from an AAW member stating that he had received a call from Global Readers offering him a really cheap subscription for American Woodturner ($24.95). He didn't fall for it and contacted the AAW office.

These two scams appear to be isolated incidents, but if a pattern develops, office personnel will investigate further and take action.

When it is time to renew your AAW membership, your journal will contain a renewal form on the front cover. Lapsed members receive post cards and/or emails. The AAW does not call members offering deals on membership renewals.

you stated that the office personal will take action, DO THIS mean that the office will bring a law suit against the telephone company ?

Ray,
In order to bring a lawsuit, an investigation has to happen first, and I doubt that an investigation would result in finding the perpetrators. They're just too clever for that.

I'm simply guessing here: Office personnel might 1) try to find the source or 2) print a notice/warning in the journal or 3) send an email to all members warning them of the possibility of a scam or 4) contact local chapters to warn their members, or 4) all or some of the above.

Surely you have been called by "Rachael" with the "card-holders' service" scam? So far, no one has been able to stop the "Rachael" calls. Mostly those go to landlines, though. The telephone company is not at fault.

I'm simply giving a heads-up so that AAW members will be cautious with phone solicitations. And with that said, I do not work in the office, so I'm speculating. I am a contract employee and work and live in Indianapolis. The home office is in Saint Paul (where it's much COLDER and SNOWIER in the winter :p ).

Website
www.turnings.basketryetc.com
I'm not getting the renewal scam but I have received several emails from a "Dennis Fuge" about an online survey.

"This member survey will ask you about your overall satisfaction with the American Association of Woodturners (AAW), the parent organization NOT your local chapter organization. The survey asks you to provide insight into the benefits you find important and how you became a member of the AAW."

This is coming from surveymonkey.com.

I'm not responding to it and am forwarding it to the AAW offices as this seems suspicious. Anyone else getting these?

Jim,
Dennis Fuge is legitimately conducting a survey for the AAW. If you want, you can look up his contact information in the online AAW membership directory, where he is shown as a member.

I've not received a request to participate in the survey, so I don't know how legitimate the request looked. You were right to ask, though.

Ray,
In order to bring a lawsuit, an investigation has to happen first, and I doubt that an investigation would result in finding the perpetrators. They're just too clever for that.

The telephone company is not at fault.

Betty, there is one way to find the perpetrators, sue every human that draw a breath or sue your telephone company because they provide the service that enable you to get scam, of course if you were anti-social and hate talking on the phone, you would never fall for these scams [ I hope ]

Betty,

Indianapolis is also closer to the world class symposium Turn On Chicago held by the Chicago Woodturners Club that recently missed you! Hope you're doing well!

Back