• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Removing Dents - worthy of an Odie Tip?

Don't know that this is worthly of making Odie's tip list (and probably not new info to experienced woodworkers) but maybe helpful to some newbies.

As mentioned in another post, I had a bowl fly off the lathe the other day, it hit the edge of the lathe bed which put a pretty deep dent in the bowl on the way to the floor. Luckily no further damage when it hit the floor. I put the bowl back on the lathe and wet the dent, being done for the night, I left the damp sponge on the dent over night to swell the wood. Come morning, the dent was gone.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've used that on furniture and turnings. It works well. I've also straightened shelves by placing them on the ground to absorb moisture from one side only.
I removed a dent from my head with ice the other day. Well actually it was swelling and a dent from hitting my head on a I beam. Didn't hurt me but did knock some sense into the I beam.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I've had great results from using a wet rag and an (clothing) Iron set on low/medium and steaming dents out.

Works fine as long as the wood fibers are compressed, but not torn or cut.
Steam works well too, as in a wet cloth folded several times directly over the dent, and heated quickly by a soldering iron or "non-SWMBO" cloths iron. This will force the steam into the dent (wood fibers) and swell it back up.
Old time way to raise dents in gun stocks.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Don't know that this is worthly of making Odie's tip list (and probably not new info to experienced woodworkers) but maybe helpful to some newbies.

As mentioned in another post, I had a bowl fly off the lathe the other day, it hit the edge of the lathe bed which put a pretty deep dent in the bowl on the way to the floor. Luckily no further damage when it hit the floor. I put the bowl back on the lathe and wet the dent, being done for the night, I left the damp sponge on the dent over night to swell the wood. Come morning, the dent was gone.

Hi Jake.....Ha!

I can't claim that one.....maybe you ought to start some "Jake's Takes"!

:D

ooc

One of these days I'll have one fly off and put a dent in my skull.... the ice pack might take the lump out.....

TL:D

I have a vague recollection of a process for deliberately denting the wood, then steaming by one of these methods, so that the previously dented portion rises above the surface to create nubs, which are left alone. One of those "How'd he do that?" tricks. Google [raise wood dents above surface] for some ideas. I found some links, but they're on other forums.

This one isn't: http://www.ehow.com/how_2079871_remove-dents-from-wooden-table.html
Just omit the sanding-down step.

Hi Jake.....Ha!

I can't claim that one.....maybe you ought to start some "Jake's Takes"!

:D

ooc

Don't want to steal your thunder. Maybe we should have everyone submit thier tips, the worthy ones get added to your list and the best tip of the month gets awarded "The Odie". :D

I have a vague recollection of a process for deliberately denting the wood, then steaming by one of these methods, so that the previously dented portion rises above the surface to create nubs, which are left alone. One of those "How'd he do that?" tricks. Google [raise wood dents above surface] for some ideas. I found some links, but they're on other forums.

This one isn't: http://www.ehow.com/how_2079871_remove-dents-from-wooden-table.html
Just omit the sanding-down step.

I remember in high school shop class many many years ago wet sanging a piece of wood for a week, every time i wet this spot this nub would grow. I must have sanded an inch off that spot before it stayed even.

Yea, I've used the iron trick many times myself, but was glad to see the wet sponge overunight worked just as well all by itself.

I think I'll start building a new shelf today for my Odie Award, ha ha :D:D:rolleyes:

Website
www.chakajo.com
I've had great results from using a wet rag and an (clothing) Iron set on low/medium and steaming dents out.

That's pretty close to the method I use. I just dampen a paper towel that's folded over twice, and place an iron set on medium over the top. Doing it this way keeps the wood from absorbing so much moisture that it effects the wood.

This technique is a real life saver sometimes. I actually heard about it from those crazy British ladies on "How Clean is Your House," and then modified it slightly after some experience.

Last edited:
Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I have a vague recollection of a process for deliberately denting the wood, then steaming by one of these methods, so that the previously dented portion rises above the surface to create nubs, which are left alone.

I seem to recall that Sam Maloof (?) showed a box to hold water for a water stone on Roy Underhill's Woodwright's Shop using a similar technique. Sam dented the mating surface with a rod, planed down to the bottom of the dent, and then joined all of the surfaces together. Once water hit the areas, it expanded the dents and created a water-tight seal.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Don't want to steal your thunder. Maybe we should have everyone submit thier tips, the worthy ones get added to your list and the best tip of the month gets awarded "The Odie". :D

You couldn't do that, Jake. I'd look forward to yours and anyone's tips on this forum.........good to see them.

ooc

Back