• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Relocate the switch?

I have a Rikon 70-050VS lathe. I have noticed that many models of the smaller lathes have the headstock opposite the switch location. I'm not comfortable with reaching in front of the lathe to slow the headstock if there is a balance problem, etc. Obviously, there is no room to install the switch in the lathe body. Pondering a short extension cord with a switch connected to the lathe power cord. Anyone done this? Suggestions are most welcome.

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I've done something like this for my Jet and Powermatic.

Basically I took the control panel off the headstock, wired it up exactly like it was, but with a long cable. Put the panel in a conduit box, added a magnet.

So I have on/off and speed control anywhere I want to put it.

I don't know any specifics of the Rikon lathes, but that sort of mod should be pretty generic for VFD control, as long as the control panel is separable from the headstock.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I did the same as Dave Landers. The instructions are here: https://mustardmonster.weebly.com/uploads/3/6/4/1/3641005/remote_switch_for_powermatic_3520b.pdf

Pictures of mine are at http://sharpeninghandbook.info/shopnotes/RemoteSwitchPics.html. I covered the opening with a small piece of ⅛” wood that I painted to match the machine base. I added the switch to allow for stopping the lathe when I am indexing. Helped to prevent making a mistake and starting the drive motor with an indexing pin engaged.

I found the change to be very worthwhile and greatly added to the safety. Must be the right approach as the 3520c has it as the default now.

Good luck.

You could also possibly run a 2-wire cord to the lathe switch leads and wire an E-Stop button in series with the lathe on/off switch power lead.
Hit the E-Stop button and the lathe stops, pull the E-Stop button back out and the lathe would start back up again. Mount the E-Stop button
on the tail-stock end of the lathe route the cord under the ways.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Like others I moved my Jet 1642 controls to a box on the end of a sturdy cable. My experience is that finding the right place for the box takes a little time. I've tried hanging it on a hook, strapping it in place in different places, etc. While the flexibility to move it around is handy and safer I found that knowing where it is by instinct matters. I leave it in one place at the tail stock end so I can reach and adjust without having to look but can move it if needed based on what I'm doing.

Thanks to all. Just thought- the infinite switch is also located on the switch. I would still have to stand at the TS end to increase speed a bit to check for balance. Then, I would still have to move to the HS to apply friction to the headstock to stop it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Obviously your lathe does not have electronic braking. They put the switch on the tail end so you.dont have to get in the line of fire to turn it off or adjust speed. However I had forgotten how long it takes a lathe to stop with larger bowls without electricity braking. I turn a lot smaller work on my mini lathe precisely because it doesnt have the braking. I can turn the lathe off grab tha handwheel, stop the lathe, inspect the piece and turn it back on and be turning I the time it takes my powermatic to slow down.
You could put a foot switch on you online cord cord.

John, I like to put some friction on the HS to slow it down. The larger the piece, the longer it spins. Plain ol' physics. I would like to relocate the whole switch assembly so I have control of the on/off switch and the speed control. When I put a piece on the lathe, I start at the lowest speed and slowly increase the speed. If I get wobble or any sign of a balance problem, I either keep the speed low or reposition the piece. Usually the latter wins.

The owners manual should have a wiring diagram so that it could be determined how to wire in so a pendant control box could be added. If a diagram is in the manual photograph it and post it, then we turners who also have background in electrical controls can figure out how to wire it.

Shouldn't be hard, son is an engineer and works with all kinds of electrical appliances. Thanks for the offer. Need to get him here to look at the schematic and the lathe. Meanwhile, turn and be extra careful. I'm not one to think, "It'll never happen to me!" We are all familiar with Murphy's Law.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks to all. Just thought- the infinite switch is also located on the switch. I would still have to stand at the TS end to increase speed a bit to check for balance. Then, I would still have to move to the HS to apply friction to the headstock to stop it.

"Infinite switch"?? You mean like something beyond just off and on? :D:D

Variable speed dial and On/Off switch. In the appliance industry, such switches on electric ranges were called infinite switches as there was an "infinite" number of settings between on and maximum.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
While the flexibility to move it around is handy and safer I found that knowing where it is by instinct matters.

Randy has an important point, here.......After 13 years of turning with my control box mounted on the tailstock end of the lathe, I find that I often don't even look to find it.......it's purely instinctual. In the past, I've used it a couple of times for an emergency stop. Things happen so suddenly, that I don't specifically recall my reaction, or my reaction time for those incidents. I do feel satisfied with the setup, the quickness of my response, and that it didn't require me to further put myself in danger. If my emergency stop paddle switch were mobile and used at various locations, instead of permanently mounted at a single location, I'm sure my reaction time wouldn't have been quite as fast. I'm sure everyone would agree that reaction time is paramount. ;)

I have a homemade "paddle" type shutoff to deactivate the original on/off toggle switch, and I use it every single time to shut down the lathe. By using the original on/off toggle switch, this paddle shutoff also utilizes the braking feature to the spindle. Being permanently mounted, it adds to my subconscious awareness of it's exact location......a very good thing IMHO. :D

-----odie-----

IMG_4156.JPG shop photos november 7 2020  (5).JPG

Last edited:
Mine has a toggle switch. odie, I can see where your setup can be a good thing. My bandsaw and table saw have a paddle switch. Slap it and it's off.

I have a Rikon 70-050VS lathe. I have noticed that many models of the smaller lathes have the headstock opposite the switch location. I'm not comfortable with reaching in front of the lathe to slow the headstock if there is a balance problem, etc. Obviously, there is no room to install the switch in the lathe body. Pondering a short extension cord with a switch connected to the lathe power cord. Anyone done this? Suggestions are most welcome.

John, if your lathe is 120V and all you want is a stop switch it's super easy to interpose a paddle switch on the power cord, which you can then mount wherever you want. I posted a phot in this old thread. I got the switch from Rockler. I suggest wrapping the connecting plugs with electrical tape to keep the dust out.
https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?posts/169627/

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
When I moved mine from the headstock to one where it could be placed where needed, it was a few months before it became 2d nature. Now, when I have to use one where the controls are on the headstock, that seems odd.

Rich

I bought a paddle switch from Rocker. You plug the lathe power in the back of the switch so no wiring. The switch didn't come with magnets, so if didn't stick to my lathe stand so I added some.

Lathe is 120V. I have used miles of black tape for electrical work over the years. Probably look at shrink tubing if I go with the relocation.

John, if your lathe is 120V and all you want is a stop switch it's super easy to interpose a paddle switch on the power cord, which you can then mount wherever you want. I posted a phot in this old thread. I got the switch from Rockler. I suggest wrapping the connecting plugs with electrical tape to keep the dust out.
https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?posts/169627/
I want the switch to be near the headstock so I can slow/stop the lathe if there is a balance problem or any of a myriad of problems that arise from wood on the lathe.

Back