• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rejuvinating EEE-Ultra Shine Polish

bonsaipeter

Peter Toch
Recently after a long turning session making pens I called it a night and forgot to put the lid back onto my jar of EEE-Ultra Shine Polish and left it opened for several days. The result was that the paste consistency had dried out to yield a hard cake which was unusable in the usual manner. By consulting the manufacturer's website I learned that the dried out paste could be restored to its usable state by adding some turpentine, heat it in a hot water bath until the product melts, and then let it cool while stirring with a non-metallic stirrer until it thickens to the point where the abrasive would not settle out. While this procedure is well within my skill set as I'm a retired research chemist, there is one thing that bothered me about doing this. As trivial as it may sound, I didn't want to destroy the paper label on the jar while heating it in the hot water bath to get the wax to melt. So to get around this I took an alternative approach. I added about 2 tablespoons of turpentine to the nearly full jar of EEE, screwed on the lid firmly, and let it sit for 3-4 days. Upon opening the jar I found that the turpentine had defused evenly throughout the wax and returned it to its original consistency. The amount of turpentine to be added will depend on how much EEE is in the jar, how dried out it is, and how "soft" do you want the paste to be. If unsure of how much turpentine to add, suggest you start with just a little and see what you get. You can always add some more to suit your needs. This method does take a bit of time, but zero effort. Just a tidbit.

Thanks, Peter Toch

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I did the same thing with some liming wax that I purchased from Hobby Lobby. It was too thick to use. It is water based so I put a little water in and let it sit for day or so. It was better but not good enough so I added some more. Now it's perfect.

My problem is that here in Texas it has been over 110 for the last week, my shop was too hot to work in so not much got used for the last couple of weeks. The thermometer shows that the high in the building was was 140* not sure when or for how long and it probably is a little off, but still hot.

My EEE has separated there is about an inch of wax on the top with all the grit settled to the bottom of the jar. Any suggestions?

S
My problem is that here in Texas it has been over 110 for the last week, my shop was too hot to work in so not much got used for the last couple of weeks. The thermometer shows that the high in the building was was 140* not sure when or for how long and it probably is a little off, but still hot.

My EEE has separated there is about an inch of wax on the top with all the grit settled to the bottom of the jar. Any suggestions?
ounds like from the first post you would do it in reverse. Cool product down while stirring until product comes back together an grit is evenly distributed.

Recently after a long turning session making pens I called it a night and forgot to put the lid back onto my jar of EEE-Ultra Shine Polish and left it opened for several days. The result was that the paste consistency had dried out to yield a hard cake which was unusable in the usual manner. By consulting the manufacturer's website I learned that the dried out paste could be restored to its usable state by adding some turpentine, heat it in a hot water bath until the product melts, and then let it cool while stirring with a non-metallic stirrer until it thickens to the point where the abrasive would not settle out. While this procedure is well within my skill set as I'm a retired research chemist, there is one thing that bothered me about doing this. As trivial as it may sound, I didn't want to destroy the paper label on the jar while heating it in the hot water bath to get the wax to melt. So to get around this I took an alternative approach. I added about 2 tablespoons of turpentine to the nearly full jar of EEE, screwed on the lid firmly, and let it sit for 3-4 days. Upon opening the jar I found that the turpentine had defused evenly throughout the wax and returned it to its original consistency. The amount of turpentine to be added will depend on how much EEE is in the jar, how dried out it is, and how "soft" do you want the paste to be. If unsure of how much turpentine to add, suggest you start with just a little and see what you get. You can always add some more to suit your needs. This method does take a bit of time, but zero effort. Just a tidbit.

Thanks, Peter Toch

Peter, this is positive reminder of my Chemistry teacher's encouragement to experiment (safely). Good things often happen when we think outside the box. (You put a smile on my face. I loved Chemistry classes but spent 34 years in an English high school classroom. Robert Frost wrote a poem: "The Road Not Taken".)

Thanks, Peter Toch
Been there and about to do it again.

Hmm, not a product I have used. I am guessing it is carnuba wax and some polishing grit. Kiwi neutral shoe wax is that, but without the grit. Turpentine may dissolve the wax so that it will spread more easily without having to use heat to melt the wax. Carnuba is the hardest vegetable wax out there. Comes from palm trees or leaves, not sure. Spell check doesn't seem to know what it is....

robo hippy

Hmm, not a product I have used. I am guessing it is carnuba wax and some polishing grit. Kiwi neutral shoe wax is that, but without the grit. Turpentine may dissolve the wax so that it will spread more easily without having to use heat to melt the wax. Carnuba is the hardest vegetable wax out there. Comes from palm trees or leaves, not sure. Spell check doesn't seem to know what it is....

robo hippy
My spell check says to try "carnauba". I have a mix I made up of Candelilla wax and Tung Oil that has firmed up too much. Wondering if there is something I can add to this mix in order to make it a bit more liquid. I could heat it up in double boiler and add more tung oil, but chemistry might be less effort and more interesting.

Back