• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Redbud went down in storm

I had a redbud go down in a storm that passed through and was wondering if this could be used for turning? The wood is very pretty and hate to see it go to waste. Thanks in advance.

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
Absolutely. It darkens fairly quickly so you'll not keep that nice grain color for long though. I have one of my first pieces that I made hanging in front of me (it's a holiday ornament) made from my mothers' Red Bud tree. It's a pretty easy turning wood. I've found a lot of the Red Buds around this region have had bug holes in them. They don't grow very big around here but I have one in my front yard that I'm going to take down this fall that's 20" diameter.

We don't have redbuds here in MN but we sure enjoy the, in full bloom, when we come back north in spring. Don't think I ever saw one near 20". My brother lives in southwest MO and there are some in the wooded part of his place. I have never seen the wood.

Uh, Oh, Sekair! You definitely don't want to turn Redbud. Really dangerous stuff! In fact, you should get a professional to dispose of it for you. Luckilly, I'm skilled in this so just box it up and send it to me. I'll take care of it for you. Won't even charge you.

Generously yours,
Dietrich
(heh, heh)

Back