• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Record chucks

I cannot find online just where these chucks are made; does anyone know? I have Nova Titan, and supernova2 chucks; are sc4 chucks any better quality?
I know the nova jaws will fit them, and I have a bunch.

Quick search couldnt fin anything. Login in to record power and look at a manual - will usually list where its mfd. Depends on your definition of quality. At the end of the day my measure is value - cost vs competition, feature comparison, mfg tolerances (some matter some dont), and does the higher priced item provide any value to me, more precision or accuracy, longer life, easier to use, etc. Ive seen some reviews of their chucks. Some differences from the technatool line (record was selling nova rebranded - not sure just what the situation is with the new ones). The biggest difference I see is cw closing of the jaws, which nova has also changed now. Dont see value in the beefier jaw slides, the nova’s work fine. Jaws are the same for both. For the $ difference I think nova would be my pick.

Between the Super Nova 2 and the Record SC4 I don't think there is a scrap of difference other than which way they turn to compress or expand. They are so identical in appearance that they have to be made in the same factory. One company might have specified a higher tollerance than the other, but you'd need an independent engineering comparison to prove it. And anyway both chucks are good enough, so choose based on which way you want your chuck to turn. Personally I'm accustomed to the Nova, now.

Both chucks use each other's jaw sets interchangeably. But the jaw lines they sell are not entirely identical. Record Power sells a 35mm regular style jaw set that the Nova line does not have. I recently bought these and they fill in nicely between the 25mm and 50mm jaws that Nova has.

I have two of the Record Power SC4 chucks and they are very good quality. Woodcraft ran a sale on the kit before Christmas and I picked up my second one. The Nova jaws will fit also.

I checked the literature that came with mine and there is no mention of where the chucks are actually made. Record Power LTD is a UK company that has been in business over 100 years.

I have owned both brands. The Record jaw slides are larger than the Nova. I felt the Record was just a bit smoother, especially as the chucks were used. Not a lot of difference, but Record would be my choice between the two brands. I have since switched to Axminister brand and that and my Hurricane HTC 125 (I’ve had this chuck a long time) are the only ones I use. Mike Peace has a video on the Record chuck.

I have a new record sc3 and find it far rougher than the nova opening and closing, probably just because it's new. I use either and don't notice a difference functionally except the opposite direction.

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
I have it from a reputable source that Record Power chucks are not made by Teknatool. I have their SC4 and SC3 as well as a Nova SN2 and G3. I feel like the Record Power are made a bit better but have no complaints with the Teknatool chucks whcih I have used for years. While the jaws by Record Power appear virtually identical to the Teknatool jaws, some of them have some minor refinements. An example is the clean shoulder on their pin jaws.

Back