• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Recommendations for working height of lathe

New to turning I am, with a new lathe. Need to find a bench or stand to place it on, and am wondering what recommendations are out there for best height? I've heard or read the spindle in the headstock should be at approximately the height of your elbow when bent at your side. Thanks for your thoughts/guidelines on what you've found works best.

Tim

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
New to turning I am, with a new lathe. Need to find a bench or stand to place it on, and am wondering what recommendations are out there for best height? I've heard or read the spindle in the headstock should be at approximately the height of your elbow when bent at your side. Thanks for your thoughts/guidelines on what you've found works best. Tim

At the elbow or an inch or two higher is a good starting point.

Most important is that your back is straight when you work.
If you are leaning over your back will start hurting.
If it is too high you won't be able to work with the tool handles against your side.

Have fun
Al

At the elbow or an inch or two higher is a good starting point.

Most important is that your back is straight when you work.
If you are leaning over your back will start hurting.
If it is too high you won't be able to work with the tool handles against your side.

Have fun
Al

Thanks Al, I appreciate your prompt response and willingness to advise.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome!

Hi Tim.

Just wanted to say welcome to turning and to the forum! You've already had some great advice from Al so I'll leave it at that.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome Tim IN addition to height the width of foot of the stand is important. The wider you can make it the more stabil you lathe will be. My best homemade stand was sort of a tilted A. I didn't want the front side to stick out so far so I made the front side of the A just a little tilted and back then stuck back quite far giving me a very wide foot print. I filled the base of that one with sand. You always get some flex from a metal to wood contact but it was about as stabil as you get. I turned 16" platters on it regularly and few fairly large hollow vessels.

Back