• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Re-turning a dry bowl

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
In January 2017 I did a demo for tri-county Woodturner's about working with green wood. It had three parts: Overview of wood and tips for successful drying, Roughing a green bowl, and Re-turning the dry bowl. Special thanks to Jan Brown for excellent video work and to Carl Brown for Setting up all the gear and making the DVD.

Below is the video of the Re-turning a dry bowl part. It shows the way I mount and turn a dried bowl mostly using the Ellsworth gouge. I also use a small bowl gouge with a Michelson grind for the first inch of the inside and spindle gouge for reshaping the tenon and turning out the foot.
What I would do differently at home is to sand the whole bowl before jamb chucking it to turn off the bottom. With figured wood or a large bowl I might have to use a round nose scraper to clean up the inside bottom after the gouge. My bowls are wider than tall so a bottom feeder is not needed. I highly recommend wearing a face shield.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCZWsHB4vlM

Last edited:
Back