• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

R.I.P. Sam Maloof

Renowned woodworker Sam Maloof dies.

Sam Maloof, one of the 20th century's most influential woodworkers, died Thursday evening at his home in Rancho Cucamonga, said Roz Bock, his longtime business manager. Maloof was 93.
A native of Chino, Maloof gained fame in the 1950s with his distinctive furniture designs born out of a need to furnish his own home. Although he exhibited internationally, he remained a resident of the area.

Maloof's work is part of the collections of major museums such as New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Smithsonian Institution, which hosted a retrospective of his work in 2001.

http://tinyurl.com/q7ayjp

Website
www.thompsonlathetools.com
This is very sad news. Sam Maloof inspired many woodworkers around the world, his article "How I make a rocker" published in Fine Woodworking in 1983 was the first time I saw his work. The simple black and white photo of his rocker was and still is the most beautiful piece of furniture I have ever seen.

God bless...

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree. Sam Maloof was one of the early people I admired when I first started getting serious about woodworking. He lived a long full life and he's with his wonderful wife now.

Website
www.turnrobust.com
I got the honor of setting in a Maloof rocker at David Ellsworth's several years ago when I took a class. I've never set in a more comfortable wooden chair. Everybody tried it, we were all different sizes - it felt great to all of us. Ever sit in a Frank Lloyd Wright chair? The exact opposite effect - they don't fit anybody.

I saw this special on PBS one time where Sam was being interviewed. He said he took his first rocker up on top of his shop and threw it off. When it didn't break, he knew he was on to something !

Sam's work was not only beautiful, it was made to be used and enjoyed.

You can argue what's craft and what's art all day - Sam's work was both.

So sad

Our club always visited Sam's studio every year just before Thanksgiving. He was always friendly and helpful and loved to talk to woodworkers. Our prayers go out to his family and co-workers....Ron

Sam Maloof will indeed be missed but his work will live on forever. Like Brent, I too have sat in David Ellsworth's Maloof rocker as well as a Frank Lloyd Wright chair...the Maloof is designed and built for comfort and the latter designed and built for a backache. This is perhaps the difference between an artist and an architect.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
When he turned 90

I was in Washington DC. I noticed in the paper that he was scheduled for a reservations required talk at the Renwick Gallery of Craft (well worth visiting btw.) My wife and I got on the list and showed up. I had just badly injured my finger in a truly dumb band saw incident (bowl blank rolled over from an unsupported edge.) Anyway, there he was sitting in the middle of the audience waiting his turn at the podium. I went up and waved "Hi," incidentally displaying my prominent bandaged finger. He said "Hi" and displayed with a grin his equally bandaged finger. We agreed I would tell mine and he would tell his story. Of course his trademark method of sculpting his chair pieces was free hand cutting unsupported arms and legs on his band saw. He said it caught up with him and put him out of his craft for many weeks. But he was almost ready to start up again! When he was introduced the speaker mentioned the new Porsche he had recently bought himself, and his already extensive collection of speeding tickets! He gave a sly smile at that.

This was an always youthful man with welcoming bright eyes, big smile and a very warm heart who lived his life fully and generously. May it be so for all of us.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I got the honor of setting in a Maloof rocker at David Ellsworth's several years ago when I took a class. ...

Funny, me too. It was almost mystic sitting in that rocker and looking out into the woods.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I was in Washington DC. I noticed in the paper that he was scheduled for a reservations required talk at the Renwick Gallery of Craft (well worth visiting btw.) ...

The Renwick has a dining room table with (I think) 8 chairs made by him. Out of Rosewood I believe. I will have to dig up the photos.

A charismatic and a more sociable person you’ll never find . He was also kind-hearted. A few years ago after he moved into his new house in the foothills, a stray kitten adopted itself to the Maloofs. He simply welcomed it like everybody else. One day, when that cat coughed up a hair-ball on the back proch, Sam just paused, looked at the cat and said, “Uug.â€

Back