• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Quill tenon sizing tool

For those who are followers of Glenn Lucas (glennlucaswoodturning.com), you may have seen his Instagram post (@lucaswoodturning) where he shows his quill sizing tool. This is not a commercially available item, Glenn made it himself and several who have seen it are in agreement that it is a handy tool for sizing tenons on bowl bottoms. It is basically 3 parts - ring to slide over tailstock quill, locking screw and the pc of all-thread with metal protrusions (he has 3 on his, but I think you could do 1 to 3 or more depending on how many tenons you wish to mark out on the bottom blank). All items I have been able to source EXCEPT for the ring that would slide over the quill. The inside diameter ring needs to be a bit larger in diameter that the quill of my Powermatic 3520C that is 1-3/8". The outer diameter of this ring should be close to 1-3/4" allowing for tapping to thread in the locking screw (to keep the ring from rotating around the quill when the marking blades come into contact with the bowl blank) and the tenon sizing post with the marking blades spaced to tenon location. I would think the thickness of the ring would be close to 3/8" (good size to tap 1/4" or 5/16" (max).
I hope I've painted a good enough picture that someone might be able to point me in the direction to find a ring thus described.
Thanks for reading

When folks have made their own faceplates (giant nut welded to giant washer) they have been able to get the nut and washer from Fastenal. Perhaps they have a washer that would work for you. If you want 3/8" thick, you might need to weld or epoxy 3 regular ones together.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Gosh, I just use a caliper. Of course I don't make as many bowls as Glenn and all of mine are different so my tenons are usually whatever size i need and I just set the calipers. I think I paid $2 for them.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Sounds like an interesting concept.
A lot of folks use a pencil on the top of the ONEWAY or similar centers by Jet powermatic.
A sim can be glued to the pencil to ge5 a larger diameter circle

For most green bowls I use a 2.5” tenon so that it will dry to a warped oval that will return to 2” which I real close to the circle diameter ( 1.7/8) of my standard chuck jaws.

My live center cup is 5/8” diameter I just eyeball an inch from there and it works every time.
If i’m off an 1/8 I get a tenon 2.5” or 2.75” both work.

Last edited:
I think this might be what you are after... Things that come to mind, flatten the end of whatever grub screw or bolt you are using against the quill, as you don't want to dimple it.
https://www.mcmaster.com/shaft-collars
https://www.mcmaster.com/9414t26

Ps. Whenever I buy a shaft collar an xx inch shaft collar fits on an xx inch shaft...
So buying the 1 3/8th, if that's your quill size should fit. Not sure if the quill is
metric that's close to 1 3/8ths or not...

Last edited:
for what its worth...I took a class from Glen a couple of years ago - and asked him about this (I’d seen it on one his videos...). He said he doesn’t use it any longer - most of his tenons are thesame size, so it was a good idea that outlived its usefulness.

Was able to find the set collar I wanted. It was only $11.30 and free 2 day shipping from RULAND MFG in MA. The 1-3/8" slides on perfectly.

Attachments

• GALjoR30TFO4BJxohD4RTA.jpg
    GALjoR30TFO4BJxohD4RTA.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 105
  • kLRPOj2dR7uksk+YaZqLrg.jpg
    kLRPOj2dR7uksk+YaZqLrg.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 93
One of the great things about turning is that there are so many things that appeal to different interests. Some of use focus on turning, some on elaborate sharpening systems and methods, some of use on gadgets, jigs and exotic tools. As the kids say, What ever floats your boat, man.

Richard, would you mind showing a picture of the entire gizmo? Ring part is clear enough to me, but I have problems imagining the marking part.
TIA, Lars

Back