• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Purpose of threaded holes in chuck jaws?

A quick (I hope) question: What is the purpose of the pair of threaded holes perpendicular to the mounting holes in the two larger of these Nova chuck jaws? They are threaded to match the mounting screws. Probably something obvious, but I’m not seeing it. 2D783D14-13B2-415D-8FB7-FFDF4E62BD9B.jpeg

Interesting. I am going to make a wild guess here. Maybe you could use those cole jaw stoppers to hold really small stuff. Turn you chuck into a miniature set of cole jaws. I dunno. Just a guess.

Assuming those are the 100mm

"100MM JAW SET - Code: JS100N Designed for expanded dovetail, reverse dovetail for gripping footed bowls, with limited spigot facility - not recommended for square spigot work. There is provision to mount false wooden jaws, so customised jaws can be made for special purposes."

Thanks Russell and Timothy, seems like you pegged it. Anyone done this? I’d love to see a picture of custom jaws made to use these attaching points.

Back