1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

preserving a black cherry burl

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Perry Hilbert, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Perry Hilbert

Perry Hilbert

Location (City & State):
    Windsor, Pennsylvania
    took a bunch of branches and prunings out into the woods on my property to dump over a bank and noticed a black cherry burl about 12 inches in diameter. the tree has been dead for a bit, It has fungus growing on the trunk. I can paint it with anchor seal

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    Dalworthington Gardens, TX
    Home Page:
    ..... or you could send it to me for safe disposal. :rolleyes:

Depending on how long a "bit" is, it might already be dry and ready for final turning without the need for coating with Anchorseal. If there is fungus there might be soft spots in the burl which would need to be fixed. My two favorite ways to fix punky spots are thin CA and Minwax Wood Hardener. There is also the potential hazard of the piece flying apart so examine frequently and listen for "funny" sounds ... and, of course, stay out of the line of fire.