• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

preserving a black cherry burl

took a bunch of branches and prunings out into the woods on my property to dump over a bank and noticed a black cherry burl about 12 inches in diameter. the tree has been dead for a bit, It has fungus growing on the trunk. I can paint it with anchor seal

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
..... or you could send it to me for safe disposal. :rolleyes:

Depending on how long a "bit" is, it might already be dry and ready for final turning without the need for coating with Anchorseal. If there is fungus there might be soft spots in the burl which would need to be fixed. My two favorite ways to fix punky spots are thin CA and Minwax Wood Hardener. There is also the potential hazard of the piece flying apart so examine frequently and listen for "funny" sounds ... and, of course, stay out of the line of fire.

Back