• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Premier Gauging

Does anyone have any feedback of these wall thickness measuring devices? They look well made and thought out and very easy to read.

Website
www.instagram.com
Those seem very well made Paul.
They look very similar to the Martel 4-way Calipers with the exception of the scale on the end. The Martel Calipers may be an option for you unless the scale is a feature that you are set on. It seems without the scale there are more ways (4-1) to use the calipers on different parts of the vessel/form. I just bought one from a Canadian company call Wood To Works and the price is about a 1/3 less for the 10" - 20" calipers. The Premier and the Martel both seem to be excellent calipers.
Al in Texas

Edit.. I just watched a video for the Martel calipers and now I get the 4-1 feature. Pretty nifty!
Swivel the jaws 180 degrees and there are different arcs that allow different areas to be measured and also the tool is thin enough to measure through the jaws of a chuck to get a reading on the bottom of a vessel.

Last edited:
Back