1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Powermatic safety cage

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by Glenn McCullough, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Glenn McCullough

Glenn McCullough

Location (City & State):
    Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan, USA
    Home Page:
    I hated to throw the never used safety cage away to my Powermatic, feeling I could use it for something! So I cut the cage off the main bar, drilled holes in my dust hood and attached it with zip ties. It can be removed easily or changed easily to other attachments just by cutting the zip ties.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Bill Boehme and Emiliano Achaval like this.
  2. John Torchick

John Torchick

Location (City & State):
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Good idea.

Glenn McCullough likes this.
  3. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson

Location (City & State):
    Eads, TN
    Home Page:
    I mounted my dust hood (similar to yours but smaller) on the back side of the cage with tie wraps and then covered the cage with hardboard on sides and thick paper over steel bar cage. Serves two purposes now - safety cage and dust hood. I do have to check and make sure that the grating doesn't get clogged up with shavings when working with green wood. My cage doesn't come over to the front of the lathe. It stops just about where the front edge is about even with the top of the headstock box so can still work on bowls while it's in the closed position. Saying that, I suppose it would come all the way over if I pulled the pin out of the support arm again. Never tried. I have a Jet 1642.