• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic Live Center

Hi folks

I have a Powermatic 3520B....I bought used...last year .......it came with a live center...

Is the internal tiny pin removable? I have inserted the live center rod and screwed off
The Cone tip......
But the internal tip.......I have no idea how to remove it if it is removable....
The exploded view in the manual shows the tip removed.....

Thanks

Mlyle

The thin rod that comes with the live center to lock the spindle while taking off or putting on the cone is a bit flimsy for knocking out the internal tip. As Al said 1/8th inch or so and maybe even a shot of PB B'laster. Listen closely when the tip pops out and ricochets around the shop so you can find it when it comes to rest, or, wrap a cloth around the live center as a retainer...

Well I 'll be!!!!!!

Yes it is out now......I used the live center rod.....And a few hard tap tap taps and out it came...

Dont know why I did not think of that...

Thank you so much....

Mlyle

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Listen closely when the tip pops out and ricochets around the shop so you can find it when it comes to rest, or, wrap a cloth around the live center as a retainer...

That is very sage advice. You only need to experience this once to learn a very valuable lesson of what to do (or not do) next time. :D

Thanks Bill for putting me in my place......ha!

I am getting schooled today......

I will attempt to get my posts in the correct forum....

Thanks again an sorry for the extra work I put you through....

Mlyle

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks Bill for putting me in my place......ha!

I am getting schooled today......

I will attempt to get my posts in the correct forum....

Thanks again an sorry for the extra work I put you through....

Mlyle

Not a problem ... herding cats is what I do. I can move threads between forums with my eyes closed and one hand behind my back (with a little help from the Admin control panel). :D

View: https://youtu.be/vTwJzTsb2QQ

I won't ask for a show of hands of those among us who have learned the hard way about tiny parts flying across the shop. :eek:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Once you have gotten it out there is a new adaptor on the market that allows you to extend the tip. Mike Hunter is selling a replacement center point that is about 2 1/2" long. Well actually it comes without a point but you can turn or grind whatever shape you think you need. It's designed to allow you to be able to work around the point without the tailstock getting in the way. It has a very short taper on one end to fit the Oneway or Powermatic live centers and then has a 3/8" straight shaft out from there. I don't see it on the website yet so you would have to call him and ask. A very handy tool for some situations. I use it mostly for turning lamps where I have already drilled a 3/8" hole and want to keep it centered. It's also very handy when reverse turning bowls to be able to turn most of the foot without having to remove the tailstock. I"m sure we will find more uses as people start using it.

Not a problem ... herding cats is what I do. I can move threads between forums with my eyes closed and one hand behind my back (with a little help from the Admin control panel). :D

View: https://youtu.be/vTwJzTsb2QQ

I won't ask for a show of hands of those among us who have learned the hard way about tiny parts flying across the shop. :eek:

Fun is trying to dissassemble/reassemble manual transmission shifter rings with multiple spring-loaded ball bearings you have to put in place and hold while trying to seat the shifter rings....
If I remember correctly, I ended up having to assemble the thing while holding it inside of a cardboard box to make finding the ball bearings a little easier.

Back