• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic Dust Collector PM 2200 HEPA - Reviews??

Hello,
Does anyone have any experience with the subject dust collector? I have not seen any reviews on it yet (it is fairly new) and I'm trying to decide between it and a Clear Vue cyclone.

Appreciate any input - trying to make a decision for Black Friday sales!

No personal experience with either. But I would go with the Clear View (or Oneida) if you can accomodate the height of the unit. I believe it will be more effective and efficient than the Powermatic.

In theory the optimum angle for the cone is 11 degrees, but this makes for a tall unit. The Powermatic (which looks very similar to the Jet model) has a short cone which keeps the height down. If your workshop has limited height as does mine then look at the Laguna C or P Flux model. They are lower height units, but the cone is longer than the Jet/Powermatic.

If you go the Laguna route the P's are HEPA. They also have noise reduction, but I don't believe the noise reduction works. In any case you will need hearing protection with any serious DC unit.

I do have room for the Clear Vue height - but I like the way the PM and Lagunas are designed. The Clear Vue looks like it was a home shop project (almost is as there is extensive assembly/caulking/etc.). They recently came out with an all metal version at a much higher cost for the system/freight - and it requires another foot of ceiling height.

To me, it almost looks like the PM/Jet/Laguna share the same cone part/geometry?? I guess form follows function - so I am leaning to the Clear Vue.

Do you have a Laguna? If so - your thoughts on its performance?

Thanks for your input!

Yes I have the Laguna 3 HP P-Flux. It sucks air and fits in my shop. Beyond that I would have no way to evaluate or rank performance.

It's very loud whether or not the sound doors are open or closed. So you need hearing protection.

The Clear Vue is highly regarded, but have you ruled out the Oneida? I am not at all familiar with Harvey.

Yes I have the Laguna 3 HP P-Flux. It sucks air and fits in my shop. Beyond that I would have no way to evaluate or rank performance.

It's very loud whether or not the sound doors are open or closed. So you need hearing protection.

The Clear Vue is highly regarded, but have you ruled out the Oneida? I am not at all familiar with Harvey.

Does it seem like the Laguna is providing good separation with the shorter cone? I know it is hard to quantify but just curious if you are seeing a lot of stuff in the filter clean-out.

Does it seem like the Laguna is providing good separation with the shorter cone? I know it is hard to quantify but just curious if you are seeing a lot of stuff in the filter clean-out.

Well I don't know if it's good or bad since I've only used the one machine. But your question prompted me to take a look in the bins.

I've had the P-Flux about a year, but I'm not working every day. So I haven't emptied it yet. I took some pictures of the bin and the clean out.
20181119_201159.jpg
20181119_201307.jpg
The amount in the clean out was about 1/3 of what was in the bin and finer dust, like flour.

Gave me an opportunity to look up into the filter. Not bad but some dust on the walls. So I hit it with compressed air. You can't reach all around the cylindrical filter, because portions are too close to the frame work. Wish it had one of those flap cleaners, but apparently that's not a HEPA thing.

One thing I've noticed with the P-Flux is that some of the debris just spins around the cone until the power is shut down.

Hope that info helps.

Well I don't know if it's good or bad since I've only used the one machine. But your question prompted me to take a look in the bins.

I've had the P-Flux about a year, but I'm not working every day. So I haven't emptied it yet. I took some pictures of the bin and the clean out.
View attachment 27194
View attachment 27195
The amount in the clean out was about 1/3 of what was in the bin and finer dust, like flour.

Gave me an opportunity to look up into the filter. Not bad but some dust on the walls. So I hit it with compressed air. You can't reach all around the cylindrical filter, because portions are too close to the frame work. Wish it had one of those flap cleaners, but apparently that's not a HEPA thing.

One thing I've noticed with the P-Flux is that some of the debris just spins around the cone until the power is shut down.

Hope that info helps.

That helps a lot - thanks for taking the time to do that.

Back